Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

Re: Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #41
The Diesel was got at Gandon Inn Service station. Emo

That's the one that's signposted as local Services from the motorway.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #42
I use that station a lot with no problems , maybe van a bit nervous on its first trip to France too

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #43
Quote by sprinter

Have a safe trip and remembered the red stuff is only good for you in small quantities :lol:
Will be trying some this time next month my self

Not sure if Martin is referring to diesel or wine !........ confused 😐 !..LOL

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #44
Quote by JJF

Quote by sprinter

Have a safe trip and remembered the red stuff is only good for you in small quantities :lol:
Will be trying some this time next month my self

Not sure if Martin is referring to diesel or wine !........ confused 😐 !..LOL

The Wine The Wine.
The other red stuff is also good for the pocket but only until you meet the Man/Woman in the yellow jacket with the bottle and they don't want a pee sample :lol:

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #45
Well, I guess an update is in order.

Staying in Castels 5* site in Carnac. La Grande metaireie.
It's as close as I've ever been to a Club 18-30.

We obviously booked late in the season, but got the pitch backing onto the English kids who work as holiday reps for Al Fresco and Eurocamp or whoever they call themselves now.

It's wild. Language is blue beyond belief.

Loud Music from a AM till 10pm. Bit weird it stops then.

But two assholes called Ryan and Nathan who are swearing and even had the cheek to answer back when verbally challenged by an English camper who challenged them.

Don't even start me on the two who made the static rock last night.

Seriously, we wanted a 6 night stay here but had to book the minimum of 7 nights.

Works out at 80Euro a night to be held hostage by a these English Assholes.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #46
Make your complaint now to Castels and insist that they sort it out or move you to one of their other sites. the have lots of them.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #47
If I were paying €80 a night I wouldn't put up with that s--t.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #48
I was gonna go in last night because the office was closed. That would probably have ended with me getting filled in 😞

But spoke with the owner today for 15 mins including playing a short video of their antics.

It seems she was well aware of Nathan and Ryan. Big apology and assurance eurocamp manager would deal with it properly.

My wife likes the end corner site so we are staying put.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #49
Horrible when inconsiderate people like that ruin it for everyone.
Don't stand for it, get manager to sort it.
Relax, enjoy and keep the updates coming.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #50
We stayed in a mobile home in La Grande Metairie last year, pre motorhome, and really enjoyed it. I hope you get a better pitch or the problem is dealt with in some other way because it's a nice place.

Regarding the Engine Management Light, I took my wagon (Rimor Superbrig on a 2007 Transit chassis 2.4tdci so same oily bits I think) for a short spin yesterday and parked up for about 10 minutes. When I set off again, the EML stayed on. I took it out for a spin again today and nothing. I'll get time to do a diagnostic scan before the weekend, any codes should be logged.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2017  ·  #51
So, moved on from la Grande Metairie and now been at Domaine de la Breche in Saumur.
Lovely site beside the River Loire. Kids have found new friends and their parents are Caravaners who live very close to us. Real nice people.

I won't mention the weather as that would just be cruel.

Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting sipping a beer with my new found chum when a voice from behind me says "Bonjour Monsieur"

Well, quelle surprise.
I turn round to see my wife's sister and her husband. He got sick of all the nice photos I'd whatsapp'd him. So he packed a tent and stuck it on his motorbike. He flew the wife to Nantes, rode over and picked her up to come stay with us.

My wife was in the shower at the time. She'd just got dressed and was about to dry her hair so her sister knocked on the cubicle door. She put on a funny Irish accent and asked can I borrow your shampoo. My wife obliged and opened the door. I'm surprised their mum didn't hear her screams back in County Antrim.

The great thing about them coming to visit, is that it was their motorhome that we bought from them.
They owned it 3 years and only ever did Ireland and Scotland in it. They had never had weather good enough to open the awning and were genuinely chuffed to see us using the motorhome for what was designed for.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2017  ·  #52
Domaine - de -la - breche, a wonderful site ,we have stayed there quite a few times, great area for a cycle if you have one,nice route along the back roads through varennes sur loire and over the bridge into montsoreau where you can visit the mushroom caves.If you don't have bicycles Bridget the campsite owner would only be too happy to hire them out to you,also there is usually car hire available onsite . Wish we were there now,enjoy yourselves .

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #53
weather won't be as nice then

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Normandy

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #54
occasionally

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.10.2017  ·  #55
I'm resurrecting this as I'm currently on the Stena to Cherbourg to have my first go at using Aires.
I've been reading through the posts and will def be using the info therein. Excitement is building.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2017  ·  #56
You're only back! What are your plans this time.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2017  ·  #57
£400 return on Stena for a family of four was not to be sniffed at.

Wife and daughter chickened out, so it's me and 14 year old son on a bonding trip.

No plan st all other than no campsites.
Just had our first baguette and now admiring the parachute at St Mere Eglise

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2017  ·  #58
Late off the ferry, then pottered about Cherbourg until I found a boulangerie...

Bimbled down the road to Saint Mere Eglise.... I've passed it numerous times without stopping, until today.

I enjoy people watching..... being Sunday it was a bit quieter than usual .... but the place was very obviously full of American tourists.

Just about one generation ahead of me... so it seemed to be the American, 60-70 year old children of the WW2 veterans....

They were all so proud of the history and connection. And rightfully so.

Having previously visited the Somme and Ypres, it is hard to believe there was only a generation..... or 20 odd years between WW1 and WW2.

The sacrifice of these young men was just as brave, but it involved ships, planes, parachutes, gliders, tanks, etc.......

WW1 was just a gentleman's war, where they sent common men over the top into suicide or cowardice........

WW2 is such a different kettle of fish..... industrial revolution has kicked in.

Back to today.... I'm at last parked up at my first ever French Aire. Located next to the Battle of Normandy museum in Bayeux. Only 4 Euro for the night..... parking only without any services.

Machine doesn't like 2Euro coins, but I forced them in with the aid of my corkscrew... ticket photographed ( cos I'm paranoid I might get a fine) and placed in passenger side window.

Couple of hours and a few beers in I realise that parking at the hedge beside main road wasn't the best idea.

So I move across the car park. Son now on near side directing me back, so I wind down near side electric window, just so I can hear him tell me how close I am to the hedge.

An hour later I realise the parking ticket is missing..........

I have sucked it down into the depths of the nearside passenger door when I winded down the electric window.

No biggie, especially as I haven a photo of it on my phone for safekeeping should any OTT warden report me for non payment.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.10.2017  ·  #59
We didn't spend must time in Normandy as the weather was so bad last month. We did the Aires in Arromarche, the one at the top of the cliff. There was a service point but it was out of order then. You also need to leave by 9am. The American Cemetery is worth a visit. Just sorry I didn't do pointe du hoc.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.10.2017  ·  #60
Spent last night at Arromanches. The aire has I think 12 spaces. We were number 14.

As I was trying to turn, a nice Dutch guy told me to hold off as he would be leaving shortly.

I had a bit of a chat with him about the municipal site next door, but he tried to convert me to the joys of everything being free.

No one at the office in the municipal site, so I just picked my spot (100m away overlooking the sardines in the aire/free car park) then hooked up my electric.

This morning it cost me 21 Euro for the privilege. I know we didn't need the electric, but it was piece of mind. The site closed for winter at midday today. What a pity as it was working well as a good will type thing where barriers left open, no staff and campers paid in the morning.

My teenage son and I both agreed that having the facility for a proper poo and shower was worth the money itself.

Arrived at Mont St Michel this afternoon. Took a bit of time to get my bearings, but viewed and decided against the official car park.
Mighty impressed with the aire in Beauvoir, but weighed this against the fact that Camping aux Pommiers has proper loos and a shower. 20 Euro including the electric which we don't really need, but being a newbie I still worry. The Aire was 12.50 against 20 for the campsite

Brought the scooter with us and did a wee run up to Mont St Michel with my son. Halloween night and we chased Pokémon about the place, catching more than a few special edition ones was a treat.

Aaron lost the car park ticket, so we had to limbo under the barrier then outrun a security guy on a bicycle with his orange hi-viz jacket.

Great craic, now thinking of Brittany tomorrow, but nothing planned..... suggestions all very welcome.

I'd love to get s big area where I could let him try out the automatic scooter by himself without mixing with traffic.
I'd have loved the chance to something like that when I was 14.

Stevie

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2017  ·  #61
You could try the Aire in Penmarc’h. Right on the sea. Beautiful beach. Long dirt tracks, to a little town to your left, can’t think of the name, about 2 km away. You can see it. Was €4 when we were there in June. Guy called around in the evenings. Public toilets there. No ehu. Bring your own loo paper. We loved it. Stayed 2 nights

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 01.11.2017  ·  #62
Have a look at All the Airs book page 117 number 139 Brittany Plougonvelin 1all the facilities unmetered elec, 6euro ,credit card big site about 2 acres on the cliff top fenced N.48.20238 -W 04.42369

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2017  ·  #63
maybe you could try the aire in Dinan,it's only 45 mins from mont st Michelle.

Homer
My Motorhome: Hymer 544 Classic
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 Turbo
Subject:

All The Aires france

· 
Posted: 01.11.2017  ·  #64
Hi Folks

I'm a newbie and delighted to join your crew . Would like to agree with ' Davey' regarding his comment about All the Aires France . Its costly at around 40 Euro but you have it for all time. It comes in two books North /South and the detail is fantastic .Every Aire and stopover in France is inspected, photographed ,and evaluated GPS etc. I would highly recommend anyone travelling over there to invest , its a absolute must .

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2017  ·  #65
Quote by petie

A favourite of ours, highly recommended.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2017  ·  #66
suitable for that

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2017  ·  #67
Here's a spot

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2017  ·  #68
Quote by witzend

Quote by JJF

Quote by petie

A favourite of ours, highly recommended.

Yes really nice village and aire. But Betty was asking for a place for her 14 yr old son to have a first solo ride on their motorbike don't think it's suitable for that

You’re probably right, although the walkway up by the canal is quite quiet.......
but it isn’t a great surface...... beautiful town and area though.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2017  ·  #69

Stayed last night at Port D'Amour. Quay de Portreiux

Warning that no overnight between April 15th and October 15th. So we were outside this time and stayed in the brand new carpark. 15 Motorhome's in a dedicated area. New toilet almost finished, the plumber was doing a final fix by the looks of things. No other facilities but it was free.

And the carpark was almost empty so we had an hour on the scooter. Can't believe it, but wee man hated it.

Funny how we expect our kids to be more like us...... I'd have loved to do that at his age.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2017  ·  #70
Betty, you forget that half of the ingredients for kids comes from the other parent. At best, hope for the kid to be half like yourself.
Enjoy your trip and in time your kid will recognise how special the trip will be to all.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2017  ·  #71
Quote by spatuladad123

There's a great Aire at Briquebec that's only about half an hour away from Cherbourg just off the D900. We usually stay there the day before our ferry. It's on a wee lake you can have a nice stroll around -lovely wee medieval village to walk around with a small chateau and places to eat.

Last night of this wee trip and I have taken your advice in this one.
Great call, lovely aire and village.

When I go back to the first post on this thread, I was really nervous and worried about how, where and when to use an aire. This week has been brilliant and I now feel like I could tackle anything in the motorhome.

As some have stated, the French do really cater for and welcome Motorhomers.

You can basically sleep anywhere that you can park. I was surprised that many are happy to overnight in supermarket car parks and the likes, whereas we usually (but not always) opted for a recognised aire with a loo if possible. Some cost a few euro and some were free.

The food has been fantastic, the booze has flowed every night and this time I didn't leave the wine purchase until Saturday night or Sunday morning.... because in August I came home with only a single bottle of wine, as everywhere was closed.
This time I have came close to my 90L allowance and had to redistribute the weight to the front of the vehicle.

Well that should last me close to Christmas 🍷

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2017  ·  #72
I missed you by a few days I was at bricquebec on Wednesday night, then chateau Gontier then headed to another favourite st Jean D' angely only to find it has jumped from free to €7 so we headed a little further down to another free aire. Stayed at montignac last night €5 pay and display, we paid most did not, this price includes all services and electric. Nice town, riverside. Off to Boise Penchot today another aire we liked last January, then one more night in France before Andorra then Spain. All good.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2017  ·  #73
Jamie, love the updates and have already started a list of possible places to go next year. Please keep us updated and I'll keep noting ideas. Hopefully one year we will be in a position to head off for the winter.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.