Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

France 2018

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #1
This year was our first trip to France in the MH. While we played it safe, we also opted to use some expensive campsites but they came with all the bells and whistles than would shame an Irish operator.
Basically France is on the table for next year but the budget is alot smaller,so aires are going to be the way to go. A few questions.
- What the best, most up to date book to buy, listing the aires available?
- Alternatively is there an app available, similar to our motorhome parking app?
We have a general direction that we want to go and a definitive timeline but we would like to have options for some possible destinations. Too often I have seen posts here looking for a new aires suggestion as the preferred one is full or closed.
Thanks Malcolm.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: France 2018

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #2
The best book is "All the Aires" , available from www.vicarious-shop.com. It is excellent, but not ALL the Aires are in it.

You can also get Aires books in French from the bigger stores in France, also very good.

Best apps are Park4Night and also Campercontact app, both are very very good.

The ACSI card is also worth having.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #3
The acsi card will probably not revalant to us as it's looking like July for travelling which most places consider as peak season. Thanks for the info.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #4
Yes, the ACSI scheme is only really an off-peak option.
The French Passion scheme is also good (vineyards/cheese producers/artisans/etc) that we used for the first time this year. No services, just stopovers but very good.
Again available HERE

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #5
When travelling through France each year I use the books mentioned above plus searchforsites as it shows sites,Aires,French passion etc around an area. It has enabled us to stay at some beautiful Aires

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #6
I don't use books anymore for this purpose Apart from France Passion, you have to buy the guide to use these stopovers for free), since the campercontact app is by far the most complete guide, for France anyway, but I guess for most European countries. Works offline! In addition, the Park4Night app is great for non-official stopovers in France. Remember, In France it is legal to sleep in your MH any place you're allowed to park as long as your stuff stays inside (it's still parking, not camping).
If you do prefer a book, in the huge supermarkets in France you can get Le guide officiel Aires de Services Camping-Car by the FFCC, which lists about 8.500 aires. Do not confuse it with FFCC's Guide Officiel Camping Caravaning, that lists nearly 10.000 campings. Dtill, this guide too can be very handy: it has all camp-sites including the cheap ones (1 and 2 star and small farm-campings)

travelling light
My Motorhome: Mobilvetta K-Yacht
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #7
I recommend France Passion, a small booklet literally packed with information about free stopovers. Most have some commercial activity by day - such as vineyards, jam producers or poultry farms - and while most offer products for sale you don't have to buy. We usually do, and find the products excellent! You can buy the booklet from Vicarious or direct from France-passion.com.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #8
The best book i use is Camperstop, but as others say now roaming is a lot easier so getting access to the internet a lot better i now tend to use websites ,most covered here but i also find Campercontact the best with up to date reviews, search for sites not far behind then park 4night and BIPA.Be for belgium. The trouble with books is you have to keep updating them, I have an old all the aires France (from when i was adding a few aires and pics for them) a 2013 Bord Atlas for germany and the latest a 2015 Camperstop. Also have the ACSI but have very rarely used it.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

France 2018

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #9
I use France Passion, All the Airs and ACSI but the best place this year was from word of mouth . Motorhomecraic Thanks Mark&Wendy

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #10
Thanks folks.
I had a nose around Google play store and the app for camper contact is called all motorhome parking lite.
However the recent reviews for the app were not great as the version available now is a newer version of the orginal. Most of the comments related to the amount of photos attached to a particular location when searching and these photo are causing the user's internet to crash.
Knowing the level of my tech ability, I have probably looked at the wrong app.
Malcolm

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #11
We use the ACSI app for locating and deciding on campsites. I have France downloaded onto the iPad, so no need for Internet. Each campsite is graded out of 10 by the users and there are plenty of reviews to read on each site. Which reminds me I have a review to do.

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #12
Some misunderstanding, I'm afraid. France Passion is not just another listing of aires. FP is a group of a thew thousand farmers, where you may stay for night as long as you don't need toilets, water and so on. You may stay there for free, as you are a member. Members do receive the above mentioned booklet, where all the farmers (and some other participating spots) are listed.
About Camper Contact: thats a great list of aires, and the app works offline for only 6 euro. You'll find the links to both Apple and Android over here. There's a free version, but that one just includes a few aires, is only for demo purposes.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2017  ·  #13
in mind

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.