Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

No longer a French virgin

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #1
From the outset, apologies for the cheeky title, may the moderators will censor me, but change the title if you want.
As I stated in a different post, we were in France in August for our first trip in the MH. The main issue that I encountered with the MH was the lack of payload weight. We run a 6.4 metre chausson built on a 3500kg ford transit. With 2 adults and 2 kids on board and 4 iron bikes on the back and after the second grape juice purchase, the rear bumper was lower than the front bumper.
The steering felt light especially when travelling on non motorways roads. Don't get me wrong here, the french roads are far superior than what is here.
I noticed that alot of the European campers towed a small car/ box trailer with bike racks fitted.
I understand that I would be limited with speed restrictions like a truck but that would help my fuel economy.
Our MH has a towbar and we have a car trailer, which with minimal fabrication would be turned into a box trailer with bike racks on the roof.
Irish Ferries only charge an extra €60 per sailing for the trailer.
My main question is, how will an aires operate with a trailer been tow as my overall lenght will be approximately 8.6 metres?
Will I be too long to fit into a standard space?
Will general parking in a supermarket, etc be a nightmare ?
My biggest concern is the 20 mg breathizer for towing a trailer or driving a vehicle more than 3500kg. It could be a dry holiday, with booze I mean.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Malcolm
Ps, I am licensed to pull a trailer and the MH is rated for 1000kg towing.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: No longer a French virgin

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #2
Hi Malcolm,
Make sure the trailer is plated as i have heard the uk police are very strict, and im guessing the french police are similar

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #3
Aire's are not a standard size so I would assume it would depend where you were although I think there is sizes in the aire book if you look in the index

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #4
As the motorhome is plated for 1000kg what weight is the trailer before you start adding a frame to it. You may be better buying a ready made closed in trailer.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #5
Our car trailer is single axle with a 3'×5' floor, 16" sides, so it's approximately about 180-200 kg. While it meets all the road regs for lights, mudguards etc , it is not plated.
To buy a proper new setup is about the bones of €1000 which to be honest is not worth it.
I am not sure as to what to do.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #6
Hi Malcolm, have you weighed the MH when loaded? That would give you a good starting point as to what payload you have if any. When I first went away abroad I packed every conceivable item I MIGHT possibly need. Now with several trips away I take what I will definately need, some basic tools and if I need anything else I'll buy it.
I think about tinned and glass items and get cardboard or plastic instead. Changed my crockery to melamine. Only take a few pans. Shop every 2 or 3 days.
I selected my push bikes based on their weight.
Like yourself I have seen many with trailers especially long termers but they are restricted to where they can stay, park, shop and for me it's not an option I'd go for.
I have a rule if I did not use it last year it won't be packed the following year.
Good luck.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #7
Your starting point is that the Transit 3,500kg chassis cannot be up-rated unlike for example the FIAT and Merc. chassis which can.
While the trailer option will result in reduced speed limits what is permissible is still fast enough for a fully laden motorhome + trailer.
But, there are benefits.
You won't need a C1 Licence (+doctors cert.) and if the total weight MH+Trailer does not exceed 4,250kg you don't need a trailer (+E) licence either.
You won't be affected by over 3,500kg GVW access restrictions to areas limited to vehicles <3.5t
You will be in the 'car'+ trailer/caravan class for toll's in places like France (class 2), Austria and Switzerland etc.

As regards Aires, a small trailer shouldn't cause problems but if space is a bit short you could always shorten your overall length by unhitching the trailer and reversing over the A-frame right up to the trailer body.

As regards supermarket car parks and the like, your overall length should still be within the length of two spaces back to back which you probably already select, being 6.4m long plus the bike rack

Happy motorhomming

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #8
Malcolm, if you want my honest opinion for what it's worth and I've been to France a number of times with and without a trailer. Present.ynim in France with a PRG closed in trailer and I am going to sell it when I get home. It's very difficult to find Aires suitable to take my length anyway. I know in future I will not be having a trailer with a car in it in France. I think a better option is bicycles and choose the area for cycling. We have only used an Aire once so far as we could not get parked up. We have had to use Asci sites which my wife is quite happy about.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #9
Small trailers behind a Motorhome can be a pain to reverse, I think if I was going down the Trailer route I would go for a close coupled two ball hitch trailer with swivel wheels

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #10
Quote by CHAUSSON

Small trailers behind a Motorhome can be a pain to reverse, I think if I was going down the Trailer route I would go for a close coupled two ball hitch trailer with swivel wheels

Wow Pat. That setup is cool. There is brain fodder in that concept because it will keep me thinking for a few days.

In relation to some of the other posts and questions.
- from the last doe test, the MH weight was 2900kg with half tanks of diesel and fresh water, full cylinder of gas, bedding,crockery and kitchen stuff.
That leaves a payload of 600kg for the humans and their gear.
My biggest problem is the rear mounted bike rack with the four cheap but heavy bikes. We don't do enough of cycling to justify changing the bikes to lighter models, especially with two kids who are growing. To be honest, I couldn't be bothered to fold up the the bunk bed and put the bikes into the garage because every night the reverse would need to be done. The weight balance issue really only arose this year in france due to the addition weight of the grape juice been stored in the garage.
The simplest thing would be throw out the heaviest thing in the MH, but unfortunately that would be me.
Oh back to the thinking cap,
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #11
Only buy the Juice before you get on the boat , then you can spread it all over the floor and drive all the way home without stopping overnight

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #12
That's experience talking! Forget the trailer, too much hassle in France.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #13
I will never take the trailer to France again. Bicycles re sufficient in France. We have used the bicycles more than the Mehari. I have been pestered by the French to see the Mehari and did a run through the village for them yesterday. 😂 But definitely the trailer is up for sale when I get back and that's from years of experience.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #14
Jack, why not change the motorhome to one of those luxury wagons which allow the car to drive in!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #15
John, that would be nice I must say. There's just one problem, the right numbers have not come up for me?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #16
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #17
France is brilliant for cycling - we cycled around the South West of France and even around the city of Nice - pic attached of cycle path down one of the main streets in Nantes (don't know who the two in front are).
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2017  ·  #18
Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #19
trailers are a right pain, extra thing to secure, negotiate, maintain etc...I took trailer with kayaks last year and first thing I did on return was built a roof assembly to avoid trailer again. Like jack there were numerous aire where, at best, it was very streesfull to get in/out. What about a roof box set forward for some of your stuff?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #20
Quote by Hymer544

trailers are a right pain, extra thing to secure, negotiate, maintain etc...I took trailer with kayaks last year and first thing I did on return was built a roof assembly to avoid trailer again. Like jack there were numerous aire where, at best, it was very streesfull to get in/out. What about a roof box set forward for some of your stuff?

To be total honest I am banjax on weight on the rear axle in our MH. With a 6.4 metre caoch build with rear bunks based on a Frod Transit at 3500kg gross when I put put the bikes on the rack on the back the MH becomes a beast to handle. I don't say this lightly because I been running agri and truck gear for over 20 years, and I know when a vehicle is running unbalanced or overloaded. With the lay out of our MH there is only storage in front of the rear axle for the equivalent of 2 single seats.
I posted our difficulties here to see if anyone else experienced the same, but more importantly did anyone solve the problem without the need of changing the MH.
This is a very simple question, has anyone ran a trailer across Europe under 2.2 metres behind a MH and met a problem that couldn't be solved without a bit of brain power? This includes folks that run dog box/trailers.
Any thoughts?
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #21
I have no first hand experience Malcolm, but once you are legal on the road and use common sense its a handy way out of your problem,
Worst case senario give it a try and see what happens,
If kayaks and bikes are in the trailer and you get a tight aires or site it should be easy enough to handle

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #22
Malcolm .A few things,having towed every kind for nearly 50years, built them for trials cars and utility. Twin axle,are more stable and follow a truer line when reversing, but are a bugger to move around when off the the car.
Short length and small wheels ,not good.
Bigger wheels easier to maneuver by hand.
Always have a jockey wheel ,a stabilizing stand or two on the rear if possible ,so you can stand into it when loading or unloading ,when its not connected,without the front coming off the ground .
A solid cover or lid for safety. With the bike rack attached.
Don't go for a trailer that is too small.
Trailers are only a pain if you're not used to using them.
You need to get the lend of one and use it around at home , usage is the thing that makes it easy.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #23
I am not doubting my ability to tow a trailer behind the MH.
The car trailer that we have at the moment is 1.4 m at the widest point and 2.4 m at the longest point.
This gives me the option when faced with a short parking bay, to unhitch and push the trailer across the bay and then back in the MH making our lenght at just over 8m.
With the axa insurance policy through dolmens, there is standard third party insurance on a trailer behind the MH. A comprehensive policy is available for the trailer at a cost of €100.
Excuse the pun, there is a slight hitch with the comprehensive policy, the trailer needs to plated with made/model number and running mass weights.
Someone here also highlighted a possible police inspection for the same info plate.
I will inquiry as to see can a info plate be issued afterwards by means of an engineers report.
I will let you know with what happens.
Thanks folks,
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #24
Inspiration on a lighter note
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #25
Just to update the thread, irish ferries has been booked for next July. We included a trailer in the booking for €50 extra each way. At the moment that's the plan but if at a future date, we change our mind it is easy to amend the booking and drop the trailer. We just paid the €100 deposit.
We have managed to strech the holidays from work to 3 weeks and booked according.
Over the next few months we have the joy of organising our route and possible destinations. It's great to have something to look forward to.
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #26
Happy days,
Hope all goes according to plan

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.