kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Cracked shower tray- solution found

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #1
I know this topic has been asked about previously but I never quite felt the solutions hit the mark. Our van had a crack in the shower tray which had been repaired with some sort of glue by the previous owners, but wasn't a great repair. However, over the summer it developed a second crack- no doubt all that use on our travels was too much for it!
Anyhow, while looking for a suitable substance to repair it in Woodies, I came across a product called AquaPatch. It's basically a fibreglass reinforced GRP type material, a bit like a firm plasticine. You can Mould it to shape, and it claims to be totally waterproof, and stronger than GRP. So I purchased it, and set about repairing the crack. I cut a piece of the material to cover both cracks, with a generous overspill. It comes in a black protective sleeve, but starts to cure when exposed to UV light - ie daylight. I left it to cure for a couple of days (it says 4 hours is ok but as its in the washroom I thought I'd allow extra time). I then tested it for water leakage and all seemed fine.

So this weekend past was the first time to try it in anger. We went to Sneem, so used the shower for the first time since the repair. It worked a treat, and I think it looks like a great solution for anyone with similar problems!

It cost about €15 for the sheet, and I'd say I used about half of it. It stores back in the black wrapper so I might use it to fix a crack on the rear plastic bumper when I get around to it... Pictures attached- if Apple doesn't do its usual trick of posting them upside down! [img][/img]
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Cracked shower tray- solution found

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #2
Thanks for sharing,
No doubt it will get some craicer out of trouble

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #3
Looks the biz alright Kevin, just wondering what caused the tray to crack in the first place, was the floor flexing under it? If so it might be no harm to put a support under the floor.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #4
Thanks Kevin, First chance i get im going off to get some. We have a small crack below the sink which i fixed with a standard fibreglass kit but im fairly certain it never bonded. Same problem that many have in that the floor is not supported correctly but i god some packers under it so happy that the problem wont get worse.

Its a pity they dont do it in white :-)

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #5
Quote by CHAUSSON

Looks the biz alright Kevin, just wondering what caused the tray to crack in the first place, was the floor flexing under it? If so it might be no harm to put a support under the floor.

Fair point Chausson but I don't know how I'd get at it under the shower tray, it's one big molded piece.

Elmo, it can be painted with suitable paints, it's designed for repairing marine hills etc.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #6
Kevin, I had the same problem and it cracked again after i fixed it so i had no choice but to pack under the floor. In our case the crack was under the sink not the shower and i go access to it by taking out the toilet and packing it from the site. Not easy and not the greatest job i have ever done but it has seemed to work ... so far. I recently noticed on ours (Chausson Flash) that there is an opening in the floor where the drain from the shower comes down and it can be seen from the storage locker. Not sure if your is the same but it might be worth checking just in case.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2017  ·  #7
Kevin

I have been looking in Woodies and cant find that AquaPatch. The people I spoke to didnt know about it. Which Woodies did you get it in?

Mark.

Carnsoreboxer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Cracked Shower Tray

· 
Posted: 08.12.2017  ·  #8
Hi

I need some of this stuff - any idea where to get it?
Nothing on line ....

MickyMac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Giottiline T38
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2017  ·  #9
Amazon have a few.
Google for UV cured fiberglass patch.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.