Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Cobh

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #1
Just back from Cobh, there is now a charge of €10 for a 24 hour stop over, the ticket machine will only take 50 cent, €1 and €2 coins. Still good value!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Cobh

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #2
€10 is absolutely reasonable for a good aire and not too expensive.
Carndonagh in Donegal is €24/24hr.... ridiculous

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #3
Quote by JJF

€10 is absolutely reasonable for a good aire and not too expensive.
Carndonagh in Donegal is €24/24hr.... ridiculous

Carndonagh is even worse value as the £24 is for only between 6pm and 9am. Parking all day is forbidden according to the sign and is liable to a fine.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #4
It is worse all right Paul.....
Typical of a pen pusher asked to do a job properly.

News on the grapevine tonight that Killybegs harbour now closed to motorhomes too....... was a favourite of ours.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #5
Saw the Killybeg's Harbour sign picture earlier. It doesn't look very official. Apparently the tourist office weren't aware of it and Killybegs doesn't have a traffic warden. A no dogs permitted sign was also put up.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #6
News on the grapevine tonight that Killybegs harbour now closed to motorhomes too....... was a favourite of ours.
[/quote]

With the news of Howth parking been raised here a few weeks, I read up on the ministerial order been quoted in relation to Howth.
The order actually dealt with 6 working commercial harbours in Ireland. From memory, Howth, Killybegs, Castletownbere, Kilmore Quay are 4 and the other 2 I can't remember at the moment. These places are under the control of the dept of Marine so it will be impossible to get access back.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #7
That is a very reasonable rate for Ireland, Cardonagh is living up to its reputation,which I learned a long time ago, You go up the Main St and the further you go up the mainer it gets.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #8
Quote by nilrac

That is a very reasonable rate for Ireland, Cardonagh is living up to its reputation,which I learned a long time ago, You go up the Main St and the further you go up the mainer it gets.

Has anyone actually used Cardonagh for leccy and water ? Must admit i didn't check the machine to see if it asked for 2 tokens.I was there in June just after it opened and used it to empty the cassette (free of charge and the water for swilling the cassette is also available),didn't park there as it was daytime but still spent money in the local supermarket so putting a bit back into the local community :happy: Incidentally i think the wording on the sign which says no all day parking or camping is meant so nobody parks on the 2 bays all day long.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #9
was cobh busy. heading that way next week

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #10
About 20 vans there, there are thirty spaces.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #11
Quote by Europa

About 20 vans there, there are thirty spaces.

thanks john

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #12
Don't mind paying 10euro for such a great site

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #13
Quote by rebbyvid

Quote by nilrac

Has anyone actually used Cardonagh for leccy and water ? Must admit i didn't check the machine to see if it asked for 2 tokens.I was there in June just after it opened and used it to empty the cassette (free of charge and the water for swilling the cassette is also available),didn't park there as it was daytime but still spent money in the local supermarket so putting a bit back into the local community :happy: Incidentally i think the wording on the sign which says no all day parking or camping is meant so nobody parks on the 2 bays all day long.

I was there last week and like you I used it for emptying the black waste only but my reading of the machine was that a token (€12) could either get you 100 lts of water or 1 hour electricity but i could have read it wrong. We went to the supermarket and then went to Pollan bay and stayed there in comfort for the night :-)

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #14
We were in cobh last sunday night 6th august, bank holiday. there were 30 campers in spaces provided and 2 others in area near playground. Arrived about 2pm on that sunday, all bays were full, we waited a while and a motorhome pulled out so lucky to get a spot there. I got the ticket for 10euro for the overnight, using 2euro, 1euro and 50c coins, When i checked the ticket it was valid until noon on 8th August, which meant the ten euro was for two nights and not one! This might be handy to know for others, as we were leaving on the monday afternoon it didnt matter to us, but would have been handy if it was late on the monday when we left.

Regards

Jetty

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #15
Hi! Jetty, I am just wondering was your extra day due to the bank holiday, the parking meter is similar to the ones used in Cobh town and I think parking in the town is free on Bank holidays. I got the €10 ticket at 04-04 pm on 31/07/17 and it ended at the same time on 1st Aug.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #16
maybe!. the confusion solved..

thanks

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #17
Any fall off in numbers parking since pay to park commenced?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #18
Was in Cobh today, 21 MH's there so the €10 doesn't seem to be putting many off.
The barrier is now up so now it's just the 30 marked bays are available with no overflow or parallel parking in the car parking area.

Cobh Peoples Regatta on this weekend so the town is buzzing with a great carnival atmosphere and lots of action on the harbour, so all in all a great place to leave a tenner.

Visit Cobh

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #19
Excellent....
Maybe a model other councils could look at emulating.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #20
Quote by JJF

Excellent....

Exactly.... hopefully other councils will take it on board and introduce similar.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #21
10€s is reasonable and I'm more than happy to pay that.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #22
26 there last night at 10pm

As Colin said €10 well spent,

I noticed most of the visiting (non irish) vans didn't have a ticket displayed, (may be paid but didnt display)

I think the fine of €40 for not having paid the €10 is too little,
People are going to take a chance, if it was €80 to €100 it would be a different story id say,

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #23
Quote by JJF

Excellent....

Galway country council did in Portumna and that ain't working to well, the traveler's have taken it over.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #24
Signs should possibly be put in several languages

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #25
Quote by TAYLOR.

Galway country council did in Portumna and that ain't working to well, the traveler's have taken it over.

That's the problem Ken, there seems to be an unwillingness at government and local level to implement laws (or introduce legislation to do so) to sort these people and the destruction they leave in their wake, it's probably seen as 'not PC' to administer justice to this ethnic minority, while we the law abiding tax payer, pick up the tab for cleaning up after their mess and we continue to take the full force of any punishments and draconian by-laws to prevent us from pursuing our lawful activities. These people seem to destroy any amenities they visit, run a reign of anti social behaviour and they even wreck purpose built sites provided for them.
About time the law was sorted out and administered properly. You don't see this nonsense on the continent, it wouldn't be tolerated.

There, said it...Rant over !...... needed to get that off my chest !!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #26
In Cobh there are now specific Bye-laws which prohibit putting out stuff and a requirement to park properly and pay. If inappropriate activity were to take place it is a matter of applying the sanctions in the Bye-laws (fine of up to €500) and the 48 hour max duration is one of the rules subject to the sanctions.

AFAIK Galway Co.Co. have yet to introduce any Bye-laws for Portumna, but perhaps it's not council controlled land.
In Cobh the parking place is open to ALL comers but anyone who contravenes the Bye-laws can be given the appropriate on the spot fines or summonsed to court with the possibility of the €500 fine, the area is also adjacent to the Garda Station and has c.c.t.v. monitoring.

Hopefully the control measures at Cobh's disposal will be robust enough to deal with any inappropriate behaviour.

BTW, there good news due shortly from Waterford Council ;-)

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #27
Excellent news Colin.
All we motorhome users want is a level playing field, a reasonable fee isn't the issue.
Well done Cobh, good to see pro-active advances on the parking front.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #28
stayed in Cobh last week, excellent stopover. close to everything, great views. when we were leaving the next day, a warden was pulling up checking all the campers.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #29
Stayed there last week at well. Very busy, but several bays free at any time. I spoke to the warden who was monitoring the tickets, but could get no info re how noncompliance is been dealt with. He said people complain about no rubbish bins being provided.
Plenty of vans did not have tickets, as far as I could see. One GB van asked me if I knew if it was all right to park for an hour or two just to do the Titanic exhibition. I told him to to take a chance!! But it is an interesting question, and would be hard to monitor.
Franco

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #30
Staying at Cobh this evening, interesting to watch it develop from a wild spot many years back to what is now a fully functioning proper continental style Aire. Almost.

This is the first time we needed to pay. No problem €10 is fair. Off to the machine. It only takes coins !!! So used to french Aires using credit cards or free we were stumped. Want to stay 2 nights so the minimum coin requirement is 10, yes ten 2 euro coins. Scratched around and came up with €9.50. The machine takes 50c, 1 or 2 euro coins and needs €10 per night. This was at 6pm so leave note on windscreen explaining we are off to get change. Not happy telling the world that the van is unoccupied.

No banks open, I can imagine local shops and businesses could get a bit annoyed at people trying to obtain quite large numbers of coins. Anyway bought a couple of items locally. Did the usual praise for the towns initiative in having Aire and paid for one night. Luckily tomorrow is Friday so we can go to a bank for change, and yes we will know for next time, but.

What a target. Possibly 30 Motorhomes each putting €10 in makes it a worthwhile target. In this age of cards or parking charge by phone, how did they get this so wrong.

Just needs the rubbish bin problem sorted for it to be an excellent prototype for other councils.

Davy

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #31
I had the same problem last weekend Davy but forgot to post about it, might gave saved you a bit of hassel sorry about that,

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #32
No problem max, we are so used to being cashless. This year in France I even saw contactless parking machines in some towns.

Davy

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #33
We generally keep a stash of coins in the ashtray to cover tolls etc.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #34
As do we most of our weekends are spent in carlingford so we always have change in the ashtray for tolls and now cobh it takes around 18.00 euro for the tolls down and up from cork

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #35
i got caught the same way with the coins. went to the machine with a truckfull of 1euro, 20c, 10c coins, lashed them in and couldnt understand the problem. read the sign and seen it didnt take lower than 50c.
luckily enough Sue had 2euro coins, but I was suprised also that it didnt take a card. strange, but a lovely spot, and yes, a rubbish bin would help.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #36
The 'powers that be' at Cobh have been made aware of the issue, it was also pointed out to them it would be a shame to have the machine 'gone missing' some Monday morning with the weekends takings in it, which could be quite a few hundred Euro o.O

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #37
Tuesday of a Bank Holiday weekend would be even better

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2017  ·  #38

Has anyone tried dumping black/Grey tanks from an american RV into this box? Looks like it wouldn't work for a stinky slinky..
(yes, it looks like some genius has vandalised the tap too)

Push button drinking water tap on the other side of the station, with a serious piece of engineering to make it as inconvenient as possible to vandalise the tap AND/OR to attach a hose to fill fresh water tanks?

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2017  ·  #39
What is that sticking out of the top?

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2017  ·  #40
I know its still early days yet at Cobh and a few other places in the UK and Ireland but i do wish these councillors would consult people who are going to use these facilities and maybe get them to go on a free jolly to Europe to see how theirs work .Don't get me wrong i appreciate what they are trying to do and i have stopped at Cobh and its a great place to visit but the services need to be usable.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.