JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Mirror Guards

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #1
Following our recent trips around Ireland and some near misses with uncut trees and hedges I'm considering fitting mirror protectors. I've read about "Mirror Guards" and would be keen to hear from anyone that has fitted them to a Fiat Ducato. Do they do what it says on the tin and are they worth the expense (currently £130).

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Mirror Guards

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #2
Are the Milenco ones not a lot cheaper?

Worth checking out.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #3
I've read some reviews that state they are an inferior product to Mirror Guards so looking for views from any Craicers that have fitted either/both.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #4
I have used the Milenco ones, found them great, but not used anything else to compare.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #5
Did you use them as they came or did you add any additional padding.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #6
As they came.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #7
JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #8
Milenco £60; v Mirror Guards £130. <_<

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #9
Was once told by someone who works on Motorhomes......

"Those Mirror Guards are for after you hit your mirror, to hide the damage" :D

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #10
:D

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #11
I fitted Milenco, white covers. I use them to highlight my mirrors to traffic coming the other way; the black mirrors against grey body blend in too much.

In terms of protecting the mirror against any kind of impact at speed - I can't see it. Even at 30mph, and the other guy is doing 30mph, that's a 60mph impact. Your mirror is knacked no matter what kind of cover you have on it.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #12
After reading reviews about Milenco vs Mirror Guards I fitted Mirror Guards after the glass on one of my mirrors was broken while parked in a Car Park. Thankfully they have not been put to the test yet.
They appear very well made and fit perfectly over the mirrors. They are also well padded and should take quiet a knock. Just sorry I had not fitted them earlier.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #13
I have Mirror Guards fitted. While they have not had any hard knocks they have been lightly hit several times and have a few marks on them. I also fitted some stick on reflective tape to them so that they are more visible to oncoming traffic.

There is however a down side which is relevant to the drivers side door on X250 Ducato. As the Mirror Guard is about 25mm deeper than the standard mirror, the back of the Mirror Guard touches the cab body when the door is fully open.

I have done a fix that corrects this. There is another thread about the fix.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #14
Quote by kabundi

I have Mirror Guards fitted. While they have not had any hard knocks they have been lightly hit several times and have a few marks on them. I also fitted some stick on reflective tape to them so that they are more visible to oncoming traffic.

There is however a down side which is relevant to the drivers side door on X250 Ducato. As the Mirror Guard is about 25mm deeper than the standard mirror, the back of the Mirror Guard touches the cab body when the door is fully open.

I have done a fix that corrects this. There is another thread about the fix.

Does this problem exist on all Fiat Ducato conversions; e.g. Rapido motorhome on a Fiat Ducato 2.3 base.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #15
This issue is a feature of the Ducato cab and door geometry and therefore would occur on any make of motorhome which is based on the Ducato van or chassis cab. It will not apply to an A class as they will have their own style of mirror which wouldn't accept a Mirror Guard anyway.

AFAIK this issue applies to any X250 which is 2006 to 2014 approximately. I don't know if it affects either earlier or later. Models

The door has a retainer which holds the door open in several different positions. The retainer has a "Spring". As the door opens fully against the retainer spring the Mirror Guard just touches the cab body but sufficiently to scuff the paintwork over time. When the door is fully open and static the Mirror Guard is perhaps 1mm clear of the cab body.

The fix is relatively simple and takes an hour or so to complete.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2017  ·  #16
Quote by kabundi

This issue is a feature of the Ducato cab and door geometry and therefore would occur on any make of motorhome which is based on the Ducato van or chassis cab. It will not apply to an A class as they will have their own style of mirror which wouldn't accept a Mirror Guard anyway.

AFAIK this issue applies to any X250 which is 2006 to 2014 approximately. I don't know if it affects either earlier or later. Models

The door has a retainer which holds the door open in several different positions. The retainer has a "Spring". As the door opens fully against the retainer spring the Mirror Guard just touches the cab body but sufficiently to scuff the paintwork over time. When the door is fully open and static the Mirror Guard is perhaps 1mm clear of the cab body.

The fix is relatively simple and takes an hour or so to complete.

Thinking about it some more, the problem probably only occurs on Ducatos with the long mirror bracket as fitted to most coachbuilts.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

They do work!

· 
Posted: 23.08.2017  ·  #17
I have a pair of Milenco guards fitted on my Ducato/Rapido and have just returned from a week in the Scottish highlands. On the road south from Fort William which is very very busy and quite narrow in places I heard a loud bang to my right and saw my little overtaking mirror hanging by an electric wire and knew I had just been hit. When I managed to get stopped in a safe place I was able to clip the little mirror back in again but the casing of the cover was badly cracked in two places with the bottom corner almost broken off completely. A temporary repair got me home and a visit to Halfords for some fibreglass resin, matting and an aerosol of white wheel trim paint, a few hours work and it looks as good as new, I'm ready for the next hit. If I had not had my Milenco covers I would most definitely be forking out for a new drivers mirror. So yes, they do work!
Incidentally, on a site we stayed on in Ullapool I counted 80 motorhomes all staying on the site on one night, that's how busy the highlands can get.
Floorman.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2017  ·  #18
We have mirror guard protectors and they have saved us a few times.
I think they are superior to the milenco covers in quality.
Ours have had an impact which caused the mirror to swing in and hit the passenger glass without any damage. The impact marks polished out completely.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #19
I too have had an impact which brought the mirror back to the door, no broken glass or mirror and that was with the milenco ones. It only takes them to save the mirror once to pay for themselves no matter which make they are.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #20
We have a Burstner A-class, is that why our replacement mirror is going to cost us £550?
Having it replaced next Thursday morning with Simon/Rory, on our way to Portstewart.
So Mirror Guards won't fit?
It is duct taped top and bottom at moment as glass didn't break and most of back part but in between a bit of a mess.

raglanroad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Campeo 600 pop top
Base Vehicle: 2020 ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #21
had a few smacks on both sides on an A class over the years, last one just lost the back cover, I have changed both sides in as tight to the van as possible,made a big difference (especially on the Killarney to Kenmare Laneway)

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2017  ·  #22
Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2017  ·  #23
I bought these from Donaghys at last years camping show in Belfast. They were on offer and no were near that price. They are a good job and have taken plenty of knocks.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2017  ·  #24
Got our mirror smashed last week by some pillock who drove on. new mirror usually over £200 but provincial motor homes hillsborough were able to get us a new one for £60 found them extremely helpful. Mirror guards don't fit ours either.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.