Challenger
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Torr head drive

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #1
Hi guys, we're heading up towards Glenarrif forest park later this week and as part of that we're thinking of doing the Torr head drive from Cushenden. I read in one place that it wouldn't be recommended in a caravan because the roads are too tight. What do you reckon for me in my motorhome? Standard sized 6 berth with luton.

Thanks a mil

DILLIGAF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Buccaneer Clipper
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Torr head drive

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #2
It would be tight on parts if you meet anything large (lorry tractor etc) Sore on a clutch in parts Id say if you had to stop on some of the hills, but its doable with care Id say if you are competent driver..

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #3
I have done it , bit hairy in parts ,some parts you can see if anything big is coming towards you , and you have to hope you are close to a passing place. Not a lot of parking space there either.

Challenger
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #4
Thanks guys

Challenger
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #5
Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Also meant to ask, the aires up around there, Whitehead, Broughshane. Carrickfergus, are they all quiet enough for a night (no local lads "visiting" at 2am :-) !)? Thanks for any feedback.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #6
Didn't overnight at any of those, Carrickfergus had a fair on so parked on the car park at Sainsbury's and did a tour of the castle, think there is info about the golf club on here somewhere .I did visit Broughshane the next day (after an entertaining evening at the Antrim headquarters of Carlsberg :shock: ) just to check it out and out of the 3 i would go for that one as its quiet and set in a great location.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Challenger
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #7
Thanks a million again, really helpful

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #8
Broughshane would be my choice, just pay your overnight fee at the Thatch (great grub and drink) or at the visitors centre at Houstons Mill. Also there is the riverside walk for a nice wee dander along by the river with a wild bird centre (I think its birds as its a couple of years since I was there).

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #9
Definitely Broughshane, £5 overnight plus £2 for a token for both water and EHU. Water runs for about 10 minutes . EHU runs for about 9 or 10 hours on one token.

From parking area walk out to Main Street at the bridge, then go straight across road to the riverside walk. Waterside walk is about a mile, then you come out onto the road to Cloughmills, turn left, walk to roundabout, then left again, up Main Street and back to Aire. Overall about 2 miles.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2017  ·  #10
Challenger - Live local to where you are going so my advice , assuming you are coming NTh through Belfast, yes stop and have a look around Carrickfergus, do visit the promenade in Whitehead there is a lovely walk there but do not overnight at either, the Aire in Whitehead is actually part of the municipal golf club car park , on a slope and not a pretty place to stay. Go on to Larne up the A2 coast rd overnight at nearly any of the pull in spots on it, favourite being Glenarm beside the marina.(The girl in the tourist office is friendly and informative )
Continue up coast rd to Cushendall and the main A2 to Ballycastle , I would advise against the Torr Head Rd as any enjoyment you might get from the views will be outweighed by the risk of collision especially at weekends, plenty of nice views from Ballycastle to Bushmills actually a nice hill top car park just a couple of miles after Ballycastle where you can stop and look down on the rope bridge. ( decide to do it or not) Big car park (signposted) in Bushmills village where you can stop ,and decide where next . ( from the tourist advice brochures you picked up in Glenarm)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.