My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Bandon Aire

· 
Posted: 21.11.2013  ·  #1
Have anyone used Bandon Aire?

If so, what is the location like?
Is there any good Pub, Restaurant or other attraction nearby?
What facilities are on site and how many parking bays available?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Bandon Aire

· 
Posted: 21.11.2013  ·  #2
Not used it but have driven past it.

As you travel from Cork towards Clonakilty, take the left turn at the roundabout as you approach Bandon (lots of garages and showrooms etc on left) this will put you on the relief road round the town. When you get to the mini roundabout at the end of the relief road there will be a GAA club on the left, and a large filling station to your right. This as far as I know is the 'Aire' in the forecourt, not very salubrious but Bandon is a one night town.

There would appear to be room for about 5 vans, I do not know what the cost is or what facilities exist.

A three minute walk will see you in the town, or there is a pub restaurant a few hundred metres towards the Clon direction on the right.

I think someone posted a review on motorhomefacts. If I find more info I will post again later.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2013  ·  #3
Pat, if you visit don't forget to add a review to our Irish Aire's review section :up:

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2013  ·  #4
Hi Pat,

Further info on Bandon as posted by Jean luc on motorhomefacts, july 2013

Adjacent to Topaz filling station, gated with space for 15 vans @ 7 euro/night. max 2 nights

Full services with late night chemist, Centra shop with hot food deli counter.

Toilets rated as very good

Address; New Road (N71) Bandon

GPS 51.740988270048

look forward to your report if you use it.

Davy

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2013  ·  #5
Thanks, David & Ally
At the moment I am trying to make a list of suitable places with safe overnight parking, not too far from home for winter get aways. Any suggestions would be appreciated as long as there is a pub etc with entertainment within walking distance. If other Craicers would join us that would be the icing on the cake.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2013  ·  #6
Thats a very good idea Pat,with the long dark winter nights,its always dark when you arrive,and i for one like to have a good look around before i park up for the night,in the dark its not possible. :up:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2013  ·  #7
good thinking pat,

ill be keeping the eyes and ears open, :up: :up:

newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2013  ·  #8
Kinsale is always good for a night, parking available on the long quay, very handy for the town.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2013  ·  #9
Quote by newt

Kinsale is always good for a night, parking available on the long quay, very handy for the town.

Thanks, Pat!
Another one for the list!

bmurphy9
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #10
In my opinion Bandon is best avoided (Its a KIP!!) A rough town with nothing of interest to anyone - unless you are interested in getting mugged/murdered or have an interest in watching the on street scraps that take place before during and after the pub closes..

Cobh and Kinsale would be worth the trip but best thing to do with Bandon is pass through.. I don't know what the facility is like but the town its self is far from 5 star..
I possibly should not call places a "kip" in case other members live there - but if any of our members live in bandon - then they already know that it is in fact ... a total kip..

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #11
Thanks for the tip off, Brian!
We have done Cobh, Might try Kinsale.

whippy
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #12
Quote by bmurphy9

In my opinion Bandon is best avoided (Its a KIP!!) A rough town with nothing of interest to anyone - unless you are interested in getting mugged/murdered or have an interest in watching the on street scraps that take place before during and after the pub closes..

Cobh and Kinsale would be worth the trip but best thing to do with Bandon is pass through.. I don't know what the facility is like but the town its self is far from 5 star..
I possibly should not call places a "kip" in case other members live there - but if any of our members live in bandon - then they already know that it is in fact ... a total kip..

Bmurphy9 - I had written pretty much the exact post, verbatim last night and read it back before I hit the post button in case there were members on here that lived there... But...... As you've been so honest (& helpful) I will row in behind you - a rough kip indeed. The only thing we'd disagree on is that I'd put Cobh into the same or a worse bracket!

If your going to travel to cork, there's plenty of places of really special beauty, culture and atmosphere to go and stay/see. Don't consider hitting the brakes in either Cobh or Bandon!

Now, I've ended up insulting not one town but two..... 🇧🇭

bmurphy9
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #13
Cobh is or can be a rough spot also - but there are a few (small few) places of interest - lots of history in cobh there and a couple of good pubs also ..
Unfortunately the island mentality which when coupled with alcohol and generations of inbreeding has had a negitive effect on "Queenstown" as they used to call it, or was it "Great Island" ???
Still though .. Bandon is worse..
Do

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #14
Stayed in Cobh a couple of times, and can't say it is any worse than any other place we stayed in!

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #15
Hi Pat,

We have also stayed in Crosshaven this year and last. We parked at the carpark at Fort Meagher at Camden.

There is a carpark with outstanding views towards Cobh as you will be about 150 metres above sea level. There are no facilities and the car park has a fair slope. we park there for a meal, and later move onto level ground at the front of the GAA club (same site) for overnight stop.

This year we also stayed in a lay bye outside a boatyard near the village on the point road. We have also parked in the village carpark but not for overnight, the carpark is a bit tight if busy.

There is a lovely cycle/walk along the trackbed of the old railway right into Carrigaline.

Davy

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #16
I don't know that area, I will look it up, is there a pub near the GAA club?, David! and Thanks again for all your help.

whippy
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2013  ·  #17
Indeed there are beautiful old parts of Cobh and it's got pucks of history but it's well recognised as a serious unemployment black spot and between the demon drink, island mentality and The naval base... It's not a place I like personally! :-/

bmurphy9
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2013  ·  #18
On your way into crosshaven you will notice the Royal Cork Yacht Club on your left - it is the first marina you will pass as you enter crosshaven.
You can park outside the yacht club on the road (parking spaces) or alternatively go into the yacht club and ask for Mark Ring (marina manager)
If Mark is not around just go to reception and explain that you have a campervan and are looking for somewhere to park .
You will be welcome to use the dingy park (I don't know about Ehu) but you will be in off the road and have access to showers / loos and bar .
I wouldn't advise parking up in the main square car park in crosshaven
Would highly recommend the little chipper there ..

bmurphy9
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2013  ·  #19
Quote by whippy

Indeed there are beautiful old parts of Cobh and it's got pucks of history but it's well recognised as a serious unemployment black spot and between the demon drink, island mentality and The naval base... It's not a place I like personally! :-/

In the 16/1700's it would have been a very busy place / port . Lots of trading and apparently it even had it's own red light district .. Examples of this can still be seen today when the modern liners dock at Cobh - those who disembark are going to screwed in one way or another ...

newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2013  ·  #20
Quote by bmurphy9

Quote by whippy

In the 16/1700's it would have been a very busy place / port . Lots of trading and apparently it even had it's own red light district .. Examples of this can still be seen today when the modern liners dock at Cobh - those who disembark are going to screwed in one way or another ...

Screwed ? In Ireland Never !!!

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #21
A bit more info on Bandon aires,

Paid the €7 and the woman behind the till said theres water and electric over there i think,
Seen 3 plug sockets mounted on a stainless plate,
No sign of water or any spot to empty the casette,
I went back into the shop about an hour after paying to ask where to empty the casette but got a different assistant who just shrugged his shoulders looking at me like i stole his bag of sweets,

The "full services" were not obvious to me,
And you are parked on a former car sales forecourt,
Behind a gate
Walking distance to middle of the town,
Needless to say we just cooked the dinner and took off,
And will not be stopping there again

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #22
Maybe someone local would have more info John

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #23
Stayed 30th July 2017
cost €7 incl electric
Got very good service from Manager of shop.
Showed me where EHU which was not difficult to find.
Fresh water from hose on forecourt which is located on wall next to road.
Cassette disposal was toilet.
Centra on site and petrol & Diesel pumps.
Only suitable for 1 night stop, town is a bit of kip.
We had a nice meal and few drinks in Munster Arms Hotel.
Would not be comfortable walking the streets late in night.
Co ordinates 51*44'27" N 8*44'272W

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #24
As mentioned earlier in this thread, places like Kinsale are more worthy of overnight visits. I've found Courtmacsherry also nice in
the past: there's a hotel there for food and two or three bars in the village too. I always park on the pier with a VW T5 but I'm not sure how
suitable the pier would be for a larger, motorhome type.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.