jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Recovery Insurance

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #1
We are going to France next month and always took out 5c's Insurance from the Caravan Club. Stuart's have told me that I am covered for recovery back to Ireland but I'm wondering if I still need to take out the 5C's Insurance? It would be good to know what other folk going to France do?

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

Re: Recovery Insurance

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #2
I've been with ADAC for about 5 years now. Never used it, but was impressed by the re-patriation cover and the fact that they have the world's largest fleet of air ambulances should you take ill whilst abroad.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #3
Betty, do you have a contact number for them please?

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #4
First time I tried them they told me they no longer take new Customers outside Germany. I just phoned back 10 mins later and got a different person who signed me up.

Make sure you ask for ADAC Plus cover as this is the one for members outside Germany.

Telephone number is German, but they have always spoken to me in English when asked,

00 49 89 76766632 is the number I use.

I paid 109 Euro for joint membership between me and the wife.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #5
Thanks a million for that.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #6
Jack, check your weight and also your length. I have run across in the past, people who were refused as the breakdown driver said he could not recover more than 3500 kilos. make sure your are ioo% covered and you will never need it. (sods law)

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #7
I,am also towing a trailer too so need to check that out. Stuart Insurance Recovery is only up,to,500 euros.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #8
Jack , Never heard any problems with a trailer as a great number of the continentals all have scooters,or motorcycles and luggage all in a trailer. I think the reason is the recovery companies are geared up for a car and caravan recovery thus the length and weight comes into play. So if you are over 3500k you would need a heavier and probaly longer bed to recover you. so the trailer should not cause any problem.The turnout is reflected in what catagory they are paid for and they dont do favours.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #9
Most traditional tow trucks are based on 7.5 ton trucks which weight at about 3.75 ton empty. It easily seen how a recovery job for a van weighing more than 3.5 ton puts the tow truck over weight. However now most new tow trucks are based on a 10 ton chassis. This has became necessary because in the last few years the larger commercial vans often exceed 4 tons.
I reckon the question that you need to ask your insurance company is, if in the event of a breakdown and you ring the phone number provided, can you order a larger tow truck, eg 10 ton capacity, on your standard cover.
I suspect that you are like the rest of us, saying your prayers and hoping that you will never have first hand experience of the above.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Recovery Insurance

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #10
Quote by jacktherev

Betty, do you have a contact number for them please?

Jack, my son got cover for himself and partner for His / our recent trip to Zurich from them .I am the road at this time, but intend to get cover for ourselves for our trip to France in September . I will get the info for you in the next few days,if you don't get it before that.
The cover you and yours, no matter what your are driving or where you are. Home or abroad.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #11
Jack, that cover was for a 12 month annual policy. They are a club apparently and not a business.

As for the trailer, please hold off before committing, as I have an English print out of their terms and there is a weird issue with trailers, I think it is the distance between the 2 axles of a twin axle trailer.

I will be towing a Hyundai i10 which becomes a trailer. The weight is fine, but the distance between axles is just over their maximum, so we've agreed to unhook if there's a breakdown.

That's the only negative I've found with their membership. I can let you see the English version of their terms if necessary, we are both Co Antrim based.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #12
Their recovery service is excellent, used it in anger in Spain as our jeep blew a hose on a Sunday night, they organised two taxis as the car had 7passengers, took us to the garage and rang the next morning to see if we needed a taxi to get us to the garage.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Recovery Insurance

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #13
forum/topic.php?t=2341

This is the link for the English version of ADAC policy that Ally posted when the question came up earlier in the year.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #14
Quote by Betty Swollocks

As for the trailer, please hold off before committing, as I have an English print out of their terms and there is a weird issue with trailers, I think it is the distance between the 2 axles of a twin axle trailer.

Found my printed terms.

Motorhomes up to 7.5T gross, 3.2m high 2.55m wide and single axle trailer only, although axles less than 1m apart are classed as a single axle.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #15
I,got the who;e outfit including the PRG Transporter tandem axle trailer and Motorhome covered with the Caravan and Motorhome Club for a whole month for £120. I'm more than happy with this as the cover is excellent. Tried ADAC but could not get through to them. Thanks for all your comments.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #16
Pity ADAC didn't work out.

Joint membership for me and the wife is 108 Euro for 12 months. Includes being a passenger in any vehicle anywhere in Europe.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #17
I used the number you gave me but could not get through to them I tried at least a dozen times and it rang each time for about 2 minutes then everything went dead.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.