SORNs

Camigo
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

SORNs

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #1
I know you are all hardcore motorhomers, but does anyone use a SORN during winter months? Any advice?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: SORNs

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #2
Yeah I do sometimes. With on line now it's easy if you realise you are not going to be using the Motorhome or any other vehicle for a month or two to SORN it. I'm away all of September so I will sorn our 2 cars. Why pay tax when they are sitting at the house? I'm a Donegal man after all?

Camigo
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #3
Goodbye to know I'm not the only one with a frugal outlook.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #4
Yes, if MH likely to be off the road for a month or more. I have a Mk 1 MX5 and it is Sorned from the moment the roads are gritted until the last in Apr/May.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #5
is this literally a way to save road tax based on non-usage on a monthly basis?? you have to declare your vehicle off the road down south, but it involves stamps from the gardai etc.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #6
Quote by killiand

is this literally a way to save road tax based on non-usage on a monthly basis?? you have to declare your vehicle off the road down south, but it involves stamps from the gardai etc.

Yes, it is a way to save on road tax when not in use. For those of us in the south, it now needs to be off the road for a minimum of three months though i.e once it is signed off the road, you cannot re-tax it until three months has lapsed. I have no idea why this has changed (previously one could re-tax a vehicle after any period).
There are no Garda stamps or the like required to sign a vehicle off the road in the south. Simply fill out form RF150 and drop it off at your local motor tax office.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #7
Quote by airhead_eire

i.e once it is signed off the road, you cannot re-tax it until three months has lapsed. I have no idea why this has changed (previously one could re-tax a vehicle after any period).

You can actually tax it at any time during the SORN, you pay back to the beginning of the current month only.
If, for example, you sorn'd it from January to June and you decide in April to tax it again.... you will only pay from April on. You can exit the sorn'd period at any time.
See This page, Question 11 for details.
(Sorry, SORN not used here in south I know, but vehicle non use declaration is so long winded and they won't abbreviate it !)

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Quote by airhead_eire

i.e once it is signed off the road, you cannot re-tax it until three months has lapsed. I have no idea why this has changed (previously one could re-tax a vehicle after any period).

You can actually tax it at any time during the SORN, you pay back to the beginning of the current month only.
If, for example, you sorn'd it from January to June and you decide in April to tax it again.... you will only pay from April on. You can exit the sorn'd period at any time.
(Sorry, SORN not used here in south I know, but vehicle non use declaration is so long winded and they won't abbreviate it !)

Section 2 of the RF150 states:

"A declaration of non-use can be made for a minimum of 3 calendar months and a maximum of 12 calendar
months."

This only being in the south of course ! Is that what you meant ? Taxing it at any time used to be the way but that changed at some stage (I'm not sure when). See question 8 on the link you posted.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #9
It was around 2014 if I remember right - cause I'd an off-the-road rx8 that would have accrued a hefty liability!! I think I did have to go to the station that time - but it could've been just because it was the first time in the new process...

Or maybe I'm confusing it with a driving licence or something!!

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #10
Quote by killiand

It was around 2014 if I remember right - cause I'd an off-the-road rx8 that would have accrued a hefty liability!! I think I did have to go to the station that time - but it could've been just because it was the first time in the new process...

Or maybe I'm confusing it with a driving licence or something!!

A fellow Mazda owner ! (Mk1 MX-5 here.......)
A Garda stamp was required before the current off road declaration so you may have had to at that stage.
It's easier now but I wish they hadn't put a minimum of three months on the whole deal !

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #11
For my sins 😂 Had to give her up - 05 rx8... The red one with the goldy spec running through it.. An absolute beauty and a dream to drive!! Till the compression went...! If I had a bank account with more 0's before the decimal point than after, It'd be the first thing I'd buy! The mx5 is a cracker, and a mk1 - very nice!!

But yes... The three month rule makes it far less viable to write them on and off the road for tax efficiency!!

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #12
Hardly worth the hassel in south as minimum tax period for motorcaravan is 12 months at €102

Camigo
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #13
Looks more like an option in the North.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #14
Quote by airhead_eire

Quote by JJF

Quote by airhead_eire

"A declaration of non-use can be made for a minimum of 3 calendar months and a maximum of 12 calendar
months."

This only being in the south of course ! Is that what you meant ? Taxing it at any time used to be the way but that changed at some stage (I'm not sure when). See question 8 on the link you posted.

Yes, you can declare the 3/6/12 off road notification..... q8.
But you can at any time during that declaration re-tax the car and that cancels the declaration. Q11
I usually declare the vehicle for a year off road, during that 12 month I usually pay the tax so I can use it again, this cancels the off road notification.
This was brought in to prevent people making a declaration retrospectively (the old Garda form sign), now if you don't declare it off road you are liable for the back tax.
There is a way around it !...... but that's another story !

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #15
Sorn mine Nov Dec Jan Feb if weather not good as said before why pay for it to sit in the yard

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #16
Quote by JJF

Quote by airhead_eire

Quote by JJF

Quote by airhead_eire

months."

Yes, you can declare the 3/6/12 off road notification..... q8.
But you can at any time during that declaration re-tax the car and that cancels the declaration. Q11
I usually declare the vehicle for a year off road, during that 12 month I usually pay the tax so I can use it again, this cancels the off road notification.
This was brought in to prevent people making a declaration retrospectively (the old Garda form sign), now if you don't declare it off road you are liable for the back tax.
There is a way around it !...... but that's another story !

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. I just re-read Q11.....I thought Q8 was contradictory but re-reading it now it's
quite clear. Good find !

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.