New to Motorhomes

daithaik
Subject:

New to Motorhomes

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #1
Hi folks, I'm new to all this I've new had a MH before but I'm going to take the plunge.
Ive spotted a Talbot Burstner that I like the look of. Its an 1986 model.

Any feedback re pros and cons would be great

Thanks D

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: New to Motorhomes

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #2
Welcome to motorhomecraic, great your taking the plunge and going motorhoming.
Tons of info on this site, can't offer a lot of help on the particular type you're looking at other than to tell you to check the chassis/underside for corrosion and to check for damp in the habitation area. The mechanics on those are pretty bulletproof.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #3
If you are taking the plunge and are looking at the MH, switch on everything at the viewing and see what is working.
Happy hunting

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #4
Welcome, I am fairly new to motorhoming too & have a 1998 MH but not a Talbot. Bring your own damp meter like I did & have a good look underneath at the chassis. Mistake I made was not so have a good look under the engine end of the chassis. Even my mechanic thought it was fine from above at a quick glance - only showed it to him after I bought it. Only noticed the corrosion on the chassis when he put it on a lift. The front had to come off - & a lot of cutting out & welding to be done.

Luckily I know someone who is very good at this. Very little had to be done mechanically so most of the cost was in the labour for the chassis work. The mechanical & chassis stuff can be fixed but if the body had bad damp or rot that is a different story. Bring a good torch & have a good nosey everywhere. Check the floor underneath by poking it with your finger close to the side skirts to check for rot. Inside, use your foot to poke for soft spots on the floor. Especially close to the outer edges of the motorhome where you can. Make sure it is cold started when you visit & not pre warmed before you arrive & look the exhaust to see how smoky it is.

Coldshower
Subject:

New Motorhome

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #5
Hi
I've recently sold my touring caravan which had a galvanised chassis and aluminium body. Looking to replace it with a rust proof motor home. Do they exist? Very important as I live right on the coast.
Many thanks for any suggestions

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #6
Hi coldshower. Most motorhome, campers are built on a base vehicle like a transit or a ducato flat bed with the house bit added to afterwards. It is the base vehicle which tends to rust like a regular van. The other choice to look at is an a-class type where the motorhome manufacturers build their own vehicle but use mostly fiat engine and running gear. I have never own one of these type, so I can't say anything about their rust resistance.
If you buy something under 10 years of age and it is clean underneath, I don't think that it would cost a fortune to treat the rust prone areas with additional protection paint.
At the end of the day, motorhomes across the the world spend a good bit of time visiting coastal areas, therefore some rust prevention is built into the bodies.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #7
After I got work done underneath my motorhome the mechanic coated everything he could reach with stonechip paint. Should help with rust prevention. Looked so good the MOT guy asked me if I would sell it!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.