flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Harry's Bar, Sligo

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #1
Hi Craicers, I'll do a mini blog first before I talk about Harry's Bar.
We are on day 7 of our big tour of the west coast of Ireland. Having a ball so far, today is the first rainy day, now 940pm and the evening is nice and soft, warm, rain has stopped, thank god!
We started off as did some other Craicers at the bluegrass sessions at Dunfanaghy. 4 days, 3 late nights, some great music & craic. We counted 40+ vans in the town, & the ATM ran out of money on the Sunday! Music all day, Friday to Sunday in every pub, great weekend, no tickets required. Needed a recharge on Monday so went to Sleepy hollows campsite, Gweedore. Excellent, adult only, pet friendly, 25 euros including EHU, free showers, 200m to Leo's tavern, great walk along the river. We had the canopy & everything out, BBQ. Few midgies but the citronella candles did the job. If going you need to use the green toilet fluid as their system can't take chemicals. The owner gave us some fluid for free. Really nice couple, very helpful. We had a massive bag of laundry which the owners wife washed, tumble dried, folded and gave back for only 10 euros, saved a lot of hassle.
Next day lovely weather so on to Narin, portnoo, great spot, parked nose in beside a bench, sat out and played guitar to some other motorhomers. Pub nearby, good wee supermarket up towards Portnoo, 10 min dander. Plenty off bins and recycling area. Great sunset over the bay, like a summers evening on the continent. Next day not so good, constant drizzle but warm. Not to worry, filled up with water, didn't need to empty the toilet as the lovely clean public toilets aren't locked in the evening. Decided to make a bit of a drive to Rosses point, as we always do to stay outside Harry's Bar, as the restaurant is one of our favourites. Arrived, dog walked, got the best parking spot, 20 steps from the bar, got changed, mouth watering thinking about the seafood menu or steak. Next thing the owner comes knocking, says you are welcome, are you here for the night, etc, thinking he was going to say you need to get in for food soon. "Of course" says I having driven for nearly 2 hours including a supermarket stop, "Can't wait" he then says you have to move on as there is a big group of people dining tonight and there could be complaints about the van and the Garda would move us on. Why don't you go use the caravan site? whaaaaaaaaaaat???? Not willing to let us stay despite telling him it was why we went out of our way to come here. Sorry he said, I told him we would not be dining tonight or ever again,and left. Ended up in the Beach Bar, Aughris, Templeboy. Just had lovely food, slow cooked,lamb and pork belly with scallops, loads of fresh champ and veggies, belly buster for about 20 euros each. The place has been renovated since last year, 5 star toilets and showers, like a top hotel in a new extension so although it was 20 euros, had to go for it as it was then 745pm. Lovely place beside a beach, staff very nice and friendly and the restaurant was buzzing. Will keep you updated on our travels if you are interested
John Emily & Bizz, woof (never had so much exercise)

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Harry's Bar, Sligo

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #2
Sounds like you are having fun John Emily&Bizz, hope the weather improves and no doubt you will find those places that welcome Motorhomers that are willing to leave their hard earned cash behind.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Harry's Bar

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #3
The Bar owner said we could come back some other time but he has put me off now
JFlan

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2017  ·  #4
Quote by flans van

The Bar owner said we could come back some other time but he has put me off now
JFlan

John for me if i was not good enough to stay that night then that would be the end of it

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.06.2017  ·  #5
Have to agree, it's either anytime or no time, you can't pick and chose when some people are welcome or not depending on other customers

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Flans van tour

· 
Posted: 02.07.2017  ·  #6
Still on tour, from the Beach Bar which was a great spot, we checked out the other POI nearby, 10 mins away, Dunmoran Strand, fabulous beach, big level car park, great spot, didn't stay as we wanted to get on the road again but would definitely use it again as a stopover, then went to Ross beach Killila, beautiful beach, but starting to get stony, no comparison to Donegal beaches. Very windy, eventually got a level spot using ramps. Nice quiet stopover, not much in the town. chill out night playing cards. Decided on a wee drive to Westport, via a brilliant Lidl in Ballina, lovely weather, parked along the quay, the place is buzzing, live music in every Bar, the area at the quay is like a small town on its own, bars and restaurants, without walking the 20 mins into Westport centre. We got the wee tourist train into the town centre had a bit of a pub crawl and walked back, dined in The Towers restaurant right beside where we were parked, serving to 10pm, live music, excellent seafood. Good walks for wee Bizz to keep him happy! Now back in the van for a nightcap. Planning to leave tomorrow and find a halfway spot en route to Doonbeg Strandcamping. We still have 11 days and heading further south, never know where we will end up. We have managed to meet our 10,000 steps per day, on our walking app, our wee dog is in for a shock when we get home, he is in heaven at present, and what a dog should be every night, knackered!!
So far weather not too bad some lovely evenings. Haven't used the water boots yet!
John Emily & wee Bizz

Robbo52
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Laika Ecovip 409
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2017  ·  #7
Great read keep it coming John.

simonjfoley
simonjfoley
My Motorhome: Hymer B654
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

Kerry

· 
Posted: 20.07.2017  ·  #8
If you're coming to the Kingdom I could let you know some nice wildcamping spots. PM me.👍🏾

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2017  ·  #9
why not post them here & get them added to the app.

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #10
hi all just to clear things up as i have recommended harry s to our group on facebook and im almost sure but ill have to check have left a review or added as a POI on the APP i contacted matty the manager owner of harry s and asked him the situation with parking to which he replied absolutely no problem no charge as long as you eat or have a drink in the place and i asked him why he or someone would ask another moterhomer to move to which he replied he did not nor as far as he was aware none of his staff asked anyone to move nor would he ever and asked me to reiterate his willingness to accommodate motorhomers as he has had some decent business from overnight stop overs and would like to continue without any hassles

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Harry's Bar,

· 
Posted: 15.09.2017  ·  #11
Hi mick we were asked to move on by the big man who runs the bar, not sure of his name
As stated in my previous post, attached, full post in the motorhome friendly pubs section
Quote by flans van

....................... Decided to make a bit of a drive to Rosses point, as we always do to stay outside Harry's Bar, as the restaurant is one of our favourites. Arrived, dog walked, got the best parking spot, 20 steps from the bar, got changed, mouth watering thinking about the seafood menu or steak. Next thing the owner comes knocking, says you are welcome, are you here for the night, etc, thinking he was going to say you need to get in for food soon. "Of course" says I having driven for nearly 2 hours including a supermarket stop, "Can't wait" he then says you have to move on as there is a big group of people dining tonight and there could be complaints about the van and the Garda would move us on. Why don't you go use the caravan site? whaaaaaaaaaaat???? Not willing to let us stay despite telling him it was why we went out of our way to come here. Sorry he said, I told him we would not be dining tonight or ever again,and left. Ended up in the Beach Bar, Aughris, Templeboy. Just had lovely food, slow cooked,lamb and pork belly with scallops, loads of fresh champ and veggies, belly buster for about 20 euros each. The place has been renovated since last year, 5 star toilets and showers, like a top hotel in a new extension so although it was 20 euros, had to go for it as it was then 745pm. Lovely place beside a beach, staff very nice and friendly and the restaurant was buzzing. Will keep you updated on our travels if you are interested

JFlan

Micklad
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #12
Quote by flans van

Hi mick we were asked to move on by the big man who runs the bar, not sure of his name
As stated in my previous post, attached, full post in the motorhome friendly pubs section
Quote by flans van

....................... Decided to make a bit of a drive to Rosses point, as we always do to stay outside Harry's Bar, as the restaurant is one of our favourites. Arrived, dog walked, got the best parking spot, 20 steps from the bar, got changed, mouth watering thinking about the seafood menu or steak. Next thing the owner comes knocking, says you are welcome, are you here for the night, etc, thinking he was going to say you need to get in for food soon. "Of course" says I having driven for nearly 2 hours including a supermarket stop, "Can't wait" he then says you have to move on as there is a big group of people dining tonight and there could be complaints about the van and the Garda would move us on. Why don't you go use the caravan site? whaaaaaaaaaaat???? Not willing to let us stay despite telling him it was why we went out of our way to come here. Sorry he said, I told him we would not be dining tonight or ever again,and left. Ended up in the Beach Bar, Aughris, Templeboy. Just had lovely food, slow cooked,lamb and pork belly with scallops, loads of fresh champ and veggies, belly buster for about 20 euros each. The place has been renovated since last year, 5 star toilets and showers, like a top hotel in a new extension so although it was 20 euros, had to go for it as it was then 745pm. Lovely place beside a beach, staff very nice and friendly and the restaurant was buzzing. Will keep you updated on our travels if you are interested

JFlan

ye i read that ok thats why i contacted henrys maybe the person that asked you to move acted on his own behalf without saying anything to the owner but the owner assured me that he is happy to allow motorhomes to park over night and is delighted with the custom

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #13
JFlan
[/quote]
ye i read that ok thats why i contacted henrys maybe the person that asked you to move acted on his own behalf without saying anything to the owner but the owner assured me that he is happy to allow motorhomes to park over night and is delighted with the custom
[/quote]

Does that mean that the owner of the bar never asked anyone to move and was never aware of anyone ever being asked to move? Or is it the case now that with all that being in the past that he is happy for motorhomes to stay again?
If it could be answered in that way that would clear the muddy water.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #14
John and Emily take in a lot of these types of venues during their extended tours and I cannot see how they could have so misunderstood someone's intentions especially as they were getting ready to dine in here. It would seem like someone has rethought their actions and decided that this could do them more harm than good and announced that everyone was welcome again. That is all well and good until next time.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2017  ·  #15
Quote by ntg

JFlan

[/quote]

Does that mean that the owner of the bar never asked anyone to move and was never aware of anyone ever being asked to move? Or is it the case now that with all that being in the past that he is happy for motorhomes to stay again?
[/quote]

We did not misunderstand what was said to us and it was the owner . We have had many a great night here especially the music nights when John has sang into the wee small hours .
As we had drove for nearly two hours and was just about to go in for a meal which we had been looking forward to all day we personally would not take a chance again incase they were expecting a big crowd and be told we couldn't park overnight .

Micklad
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2017  ·  #16
Quote by ntg

JFlan

[/quote]

[/quote]

well all im doing is letting you all know the result of my phone conversation with the owner! and as i said earlier he assured me he never asked anyone to move nor was he aware of someone being asked to move and that he is more than happy for motorhomes to stay

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2017  ·  #17
Are ye talking about the same place? Henrys or Harrys ?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2017  ·  #18
With the two completely different attitudes and answers towards motorhomes I too am beginning to wonder, as I have never been to that area are there two bars/restaurants with similar names, henrys &harrys

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #19
flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2017  ·  #20
Micklad
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #21
********APOLOGIES********

I must humbly apologise for my mistake in reading the original post and mistakenly reading Henry's instead of Harry's as what flans van meant! i was referring to Henry's bar not Harry's and have had to phone the owner of Henry's explaining my dyslexic moment so alls well and apolagies again to all on here and specially Flans Van for the mistake.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #22
All's well that ends well :)

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #23
I think that we can all now presume that Harry's bar in Sligo is no longer Motorhome friendly

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2017  ·  #24
Was in Rosses Point on Sat last 16th Sept.
Stopped in Harrys at about 8.45pm and immediately went to the bar to ask if I could park overnight.
I asked the big man behind the counter if he owned the carpark in front and if it was ok to park overnight.
He said Yes he owned it and Yes no problem I could park up. He immediately followed up by saying that he doesn't always allow parking
"because when there is trouble uptown the Guards move them on and they all come down here"
While I waited for my drink, he uttered a few more sentences in my direction but the bar was noisy and I couldn't hear why he said.
It may have been a further explanation of his policy.
I don't know what "trouble" he referred to or who "they" were.
His demeniour suggested that he appreciated the fact that I had asked for permission, but I didn't get any sense that he was in any way interested in MH business.
A camper van came late and also parked up. I don't know if they asked for permission or not.
2 MH who had been parked there earlier left during the late evening/early night.
I don't think I would go back, but must acknowledge that I was allowed to park-up.
I was late for food in Harrys but the Chinese (250m up the road) did a pretty good take away.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2017  ·  #25
In my opinion he either accepts Motorhomes or he does not,how can a Motorhomer go there for the night with the understanding that they might be allowed to stay or they might not.
Motorhomers deserve more respect than this and there are establishments that welcome our custom.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #26
I have been following this thread with interest. We stay in the Rosses point area in July 2016. We used the campsite because after 5 nights of wild parking, we need facilities to refreshen up. Just pass the campsite there is a road which leds to a peir and to a public car park. On the Friday afternoon we counted over 25 MH parked in this area, however at around 7 pm a council worker along with garda showed up and began to move the MH on. We witnessed this from our pitch. This went on for about 2 hours until all MH were gone.
The next morning there was a line of MH parked in the lower village on the promenade, where the forementioned bar is.
I am now speculating on a possible reason as to there is doubt about using "Harry's bar" as overnight parking.
The campsite in Rosses point is built on local authority lands but I am not sure wether the council or private company run the facility. It is very expensive (over €40 per night for 2 adults 2 kids when you add in shower and washing machine tokens ) so people in MH will naturally avoid using the campsite. The campsite operator would certainly moan out lost profit with the pier parking.
After a clearing out at the pier like the one that I saw, it is understandable that an evicted MH would move towards Harry bar and join other MH parked there and assume that no permission was needed.
I believe that this area is a prime example on the difficulties experienced with MH overnighting in this country. Malcolm

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #27
Rosses point / Strandhill sites are run by Sligo tourism and parking around the harbour would restrict access to the sailing club and swimming activities carried out by local people

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #28
That certainly explains the comments of the bar owner.
Two sides to every story. Completely understandable that he would be reluctant to facilitate many MHs turning up for free parking.
Seems like a golden opportunity for the campsite to provide an MH Aire within its boundaries, with water and waste facilities only, for an appropriate fee.

Some MH would still wild camp and therein lies the problem.

In Westport Harbour last Sunday, 5 or 6 campers parked up reasonably well. One with bike rack over hung the footpath a bit too much (no problem for pedestrians wheelchairs or disability scooter might have been restricted) but otherwise all good.
One guy however in a very nice DL reg. Transit based van parked on the yellow no parking box at the entrance to the car park.
Awning out, chairs out, table out and BBQ out. Grey water tank open forming a grand puddle under the van.
Completely blocked the Tourist Information notice board and map.
Worse than the cousins would ever do.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #29
Malcolm's explanation sums it up very well and makes complete sense. We cannot expect a rate paying business to provide a free service for us, OK for a few MH's who spend a few euro on his premises but not an open invite to all. Maybe 3 or 4 dedicated bays for MH's on his premises would solve the issue.
There is an opportunity for an Aire, either under public or private control at Rosss point. We've only went once and stayed on the site which is expensive when we do not need the facilities.

On the issue of inappropriate behaviour by MH owners as JoeO'S has stated above, that indeed is a big issue.
We are being tarnished by the few who believe they have the right to do as they please and end up destroying it for the masses that behave correctly.
Is it for us to educate them?.... probably get an earful if we tried?

I did tell one owner in a well used car park by motorhomes, who had his awning and chairs out and many many cars trying to park in a very full venue while he sat there taking up more than 2 spaces laughing at them. I was wasting my time by even trying to reason with such a moron.
Maybe a flyer with accepted/unacceptable practices laid out that we can slip under their wipers to attempt to get our point over?.......unfortunately I have a feeling that we may have to gather them off the street when they leave.

It's a problem that isn't going to be easy to solve, we've already seen action by councils to prevent us stopping, hard to argue with them when we have these sort of inconsiderate people in our midsts.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #30
I totally agree with last 2 comments, however some of the bigger more established campsite operators don't have a great welcome for touring MH. My experience is during the busy season a campsite like Rosses point (as an example ) are only interested in allocating pitches firstly for extended stay for a week or longer. These are booked months in advance. They only keep a small number say a half dozen free for overnight visitors which fill up very quickly and are allocated on a first comes bases, no pre booking allowed.
It makes my blood boil when we do visit one of these sites and the pitches offered are rough,uneven and misshaped. Then you look at a longterm pitch and they have a slab of concrete or tarmac as level as a pool table.
As for these guys developing an aires, if they do so, I am pretty sure you will be charged the full price of the campsite.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #31
Quote by JoeO'S

One guy however in a very nice DL reg. Transit based van parked on the yellow no parking box at the entrance to the car park.
Awning out, chairs out, table out and BBQ out. Grey water tank open forming a grand puddle under the van.
Completely blocked the Tourist Information notice board and map.
Worse than the cousins would ever do.

gobshite.theres always one.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #32
should have been at the Marine carpark in Donaghadee for the BAy City Rollers concert, there was more than one there, 30 vans of which probably a quarter of them parked in the middle of the carpark and had the chairs, tables and awnings out, leaving no room for the cars! When challenged about having a bit of consideration it was the same old story, "I've paid my road tax and insurance I can park where I like" followed by a mouthful when told they haven't just parked, not what you would expect of people of a certain age, or I am being a bit naive

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #33
Quote by JJF

Maybe a flyer with accepted/unacceptable practices laid out that we can slip under their wipers to attempt to get our point over?.......unfortunately I have a feeling that we may have to gather them off the street when they leave.

forum/xt.php?p=lexicon_show&post_id=1

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #34
Quote by the fat controller

should have been at the Marine carpark in Donaghadee for the BAy City Rollers concert, there was more than one there, 30 vans of which probably a quarter of them parked in the middle of the carpark and had the chairs, tables and awnings out, leaving no room for the cars! When challenged about having a bit of consideration it was the same old story, "I've paid my road tax and insurance I can park where I like" followed by a mouthful when told they haven't just parked, not what you would expect of people of a certain age, or I am being a bit naive

No John, not naive at all.
All you got was some assholes perception of their own self importance and sense of entitlement and to hell with the consequences of their actions.
A sad story I'm afraid amongst a lot of our tribe.

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #35
I had great intentions of asking the guy in Westport if the Council had been onto him about the awning etc. and did a couple of walk-bys having summoned up the courage but he was on a phone for ages.
After watching the football match on TV, I'd lost my enthusiasm and Chickened Out of challenging his parking style.

A flyer or info on the correct use of Aire/Public parking of MHs seems like a brilliant way of making the point, without confrontation.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #36

Ally, no link on this download... will you have a look ?

Quote by JoeO'S

A flyer or info on the correct use of Aire/Public parking of MHs seems like a brilliant way of making the point, without confrontation.

Agreed Joe, will print a few and put in glovebox for future lecturing !! (After Ally sorts it !)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #37
Quote by JJF

Ally, no link on this download... will you have a look ?

OOPS! a casualty from the server move - should be there now :)

Irish Aire Guide

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #38
Quote by JoeO'S

Putting Flyers on Vehicles is Forbidden under the Litter Act as Most people take them off and throw them away.
The person distributing flyers can be prosecuted

mtoolan
Craic'er
Subject:

Proper practice

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #39
Hi Ally
The page is excellent on the proper behaviour for motorhomers.Just one to add to it.Make sure the grey water valve is closed at all times. It does not look good to the general public to see water coming from the underside of the M/H as they do not know that it's just water!!

Micklad
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2017  ·  #40
Quote by Ally

Quote by JJF

forum/xt.php?p=lexicon_show&post_id=1
not a bad ides or those stickers that are a curse to remove.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.