bazzinbelfast
Homepage: Www.superbiking.or…
My Motorhome: Autotrail cherokee
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Benz
Subject:

New Lightweight Gas Bottles

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #1
I went to Hills Gas Centre near Connswater He showed me a Flow Gas cylinder made of Fibre glass which you can see the gas level in. I bought 2. 1 equal to my 13 kg calor bottle and 1 half size together they weigh less than 1 half size metal one. No more exchanging half full bottles and muscle pulls loading and unloading them fantastic saves weight and fuel by dropping your Gross vehicle weight.
Really pleased just back from 3 weeks on the continent and still on the big one.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: New Lightweight Gas Bottles

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #2
are they expensive and widely available

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #3
Dave I looked into them about a year ago, with our local hardware shop, Telfords. They could get them but here in the south, when getting a new cylinder, the customer actually purchase the cylinder first and then the gas. The red 12kg propane cylinder is €46 while the standard yellow is €30. The fibre glass cylinder is close to €100. The cylinder is exchange each time it's empty.
The gas part is approximately €30.
However Telfords main concern was the number of fibre glass cylinders that they would have to stock because when the gas delivery truck arrives to them for the empties, the number of full cylinders delivered must match the number of empty ones collected.
So if I showed up with an empty fiber glass cylinder and they had no full ones, I would have leave my empty and return after the next delivery.
In the end I decided it was not worth the hassle.

Ps, the next time you see a gas cylinder abandoned, grab it, and bring it to a gas stockists, ask for a cylinder refund and they are obliged to pay you.

Malcolm

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #4
In my experience they ask for the receipt for the original bottle, then they pay it out.
I have quite a few empty bottles and they are just a pain in the ass to get rid of.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2017  ·  #5
Yes Malcolm I know of Telford's but even if you get a bottle there where else in ROI can you get one it can be hard enough to get a bottle of propane in ROI which post 05 vans need to run auto fridge

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

New Lightweight Gas Bottles

· 
Posted: 18.07.2017  ·  #6
Quote by Thorn123

Dave I looked into them about a year ago, with our local hardware shop, Telfords. They could get them but here in the south, when getting a new cylinder, the customer actually purchase the cylinder first and then the gas. The red 12kg propane cylinder is €46 while the standard yellow is €30. The fibre glass cylinder is close to €100. The cylinder is exchange each time it's empty.
The gas part is approximately €30.
However Telfords main concer

Ps, the next time you see a gas cylinder abandoned, grab it, and bring it to a gas stockists, ask for a cylinder refund and they are obliged to pay you.

Malcolm

Not in the south they don't.
There was a deal down here where they gave you the plastic one for the price of the gas ,and Applegreen were going to stock them on their forecourt.
That said I went 2x Propane .for home and swop one for a pop top for France//Spain

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2017  ·  #7
Telefords hardware is part of the Gratton group which includes Chadwicks, Woodies and the topline franchise, which probably mades them one of the biggest distributors around. I figured when were they wre unwilling to stock the lite cylinder, availability across the country would become an issue.
By the way, one question wasn't answered during my inquiries, what type of conection is with the lite cylinder?

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2017  ·  #8
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.