Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Capmsite Standards

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #1
Came across this little gem on Fáilte Ireland's website regarding registration of campsites

"Under the Tourist Traffic Acts 1939 - 2011 any tourism business calling themselves a caravan or camping park must be registered with Fáilte Ireland.

In order to register as a caravan & camping park, your business should consist of a site comprising 20 or more touring pitches and not more than 50 touring pitches per hectare.

There should be toilets and a washing-up facility provided within a permanent structure, and the site should be constructed, laid out, or adapted and properly equipped for use as a caravan or camping park."

Here's the regs Registration Regulations for Caravan and Camping Parks

Lough Rynn and Portumna (two sites I visited recently) both don't seem to comply yet they were built by Local Authorities.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Capmsite Standards

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #2
Having rechecked Lough Rynn is registered. I thought it only had 17 / 18 stands but apparently it has 20

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #3
TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #4
Portumna is not campsite

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #5
Strand camping is not registered with failte Ireland we could we meet there minimum standards and to be honest exceed a lot of their tick box standards that don't actually have to be fit for purpose but why would I pay €1000 euro to register with them? I'd rather invest the money on the campsite.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #6
Portumna only has 18 bays and falls outside the scope, min 20 required but equally has no urinals, no chemical waste facilities, no wash up facilities and doesn't meet the minimum pitch size.

I just find it odd that a facility that is built by a local authority doesn't meet the required standard.

Strand Camping - I should have realized there was a catch, the €1000 registration fee.

I'm just making an observation of a Local Authority not yourself or other sites

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #7
You can still register with them with less than 20 pitches. Different classification though, still €1000

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #8
portumna is not a campsite
its an aire

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #9
Quote by Bob

portumna is not a campsite
its an aire

Exactly Bob but some people seem to confuse the needs and requirements of a campsite with that of an Aires when in fact they are two totally different things.
I suppose Aires are still relevantly new here and the more of them that open will help people see the difference.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2017  ·  #10
I was talking to a guy recently who family had a campsite about 20 years ago. The registration fee was for board failte to promote the family business to the international tourist. His father told them as to where to stick their fee. The result was that the local tourism office denied knowledge of the existence of a campsite when tourists inquired. After about 5 years the local council shut them down because they were not a registered campsite and their waste water conection was not sufficient. The laughable part is, the campsite was located in a town of 8000 people and the campsite was part of a building company and commercial rates were paid on the property. It would only happen in this country where you tell one state agency to sod off and a different one shows up a give you grief.
At least these days there is other options to gain knowledge and promotion.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #11
Quote by Eamonn

Portumna only has 18 bays and falls outside the scope, min 20 required but equally has no urinals, no chemical waste facilities, no wash up facilities and doesn't meet the minimum pitch size.

I just find it odd that a facility that is built by a local authority doesn't meet the required standard.

Strand Camping - I should have realized there was a catch, the €1000 registration fee.

The facility at Portumna is not a campsite and was not designed as such.
It was designed as a 'Motorhome Parking Area' and went through the planning process as such. A Motorhome Parking Area is basically a parking area (the clue is in the title) which is why no facilities other than a place to park are provided. A Motorhome Parking Area can comprise of any number of parking spaces
What Portumna does have, in common with other designated parking areas, is a services bay which includes facilities to empty a toilet cassette (black water), drain off waste (grey) water and a supply of potable water to refill fresh water tanks. A service bay is usually co-located with the parking but can be at another location. The three different services are sometimes not grouped together.

Finally, a Motorhome Parking Area is not a place for camping and any external activity which is normally carried on on a campsite pitch, eg. winding out awnings, putting out tables and chairs or sun loungers, BBQ's and cooking, hanging out laundry, etc., is not permissible.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #12
Quote by baguette

Quote by Eamonn

What Portumna does have, in common with other designated parking areas, is a services bay which includes facilities to empty a toilet cassette (black water), drain off waste (grey) water and a supply of potable water to refill fresh water tanks. A service bay is usually co-located with the parking but can be at another location. The three different services are sometimes not grouped together

Hi Colin.

I was there on Friday and theres no proper black water disposal yet,just a man hole cover at the back of the toilets,I saw one van owner emptying his in the gents toilet.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2017  ·  #13
I haven't looked at the planning for Portumna but from personal experience of being there all that I can see is that the Council have given camper vans larger parking spots in an otherwise free car park and proposes to charge a tenner per calendar day whilst all other services are provided by Waterways Ireland who we pay for the use.

So if you use the big bays at the back it's a tenner, everyone else is free or am I missing something?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2017  ·  #14
Quote by Eamonn

I haven't looked at the planning for Portumna but from personal experience of being there all that I can see is that the Council have given camper vans larger parking spots in an otherwise free car park and proposes to charge a tenner per calendar day whilst all other services are provided by Waterways Ireland who we pay for the use.

So if you use the big bays at the back it's a tenner, everyone else is free or am I missing something?

The tenner charge is for the provision of parking and services. It's not unusual to pay for specific authorised motorhome parking spaces. The parking is reserved for motorhomes and specifically designed for them.
The three services are also provided, though they are a bit heath robinson due to a lack of understanding of what is required when the planning application was being made, however they do exist, there is a drive over area to drain off grey tanks, a manhole into which cassettes can be emptied and a tap for potable a water supply.
The manhole for the cassettes is a temporary measure until a proper emptying point is installed, being a CoCo undertaking this must go through all the usual official hoops.

See the attached pic for a simple but effective contraption positioned over a manhole which I spotted in France
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2017  ·  #15
Colin that looks too simple for a university trained council engineer tut tut

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.