Seadoo
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Rv driving from brittany to barcelona best road to take

· 
Posted: 10.06.2017  ·  #1
Hi all
going to south of france in july for the first time looking for advice on the best and the easiest road to take from brittany to barcelona the Rv I'm driving is 31 feet long and is over 8 feet wide so i want to avoid the citys as well

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Rv driving from brittany to barcelona best road to take

· 
Posted: 10.06.2017  ·  #2
Hi Seado, ref your width, as long as you are under 2.55 metres then you are legal in Europe. But campsites can be a problem if not carefully investigated for access in and out. Also You dont say if you are going to north of Barcelona or further south and if you want motorway running or non paying main roads.

Seadoo
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2017  ·  #3
Hi Nilrac
Thanks for your reply I'm just under the legal width I'm 2.53 meters wide and 11 feet high with the air conditioner on the roof I'm all ready pre booked in two campsites one in north of france and the other is in north spain Giorna with two stop over,s they said no problem for its size heading then to barcelona - salou and then to valencia 5 weeks in total i think motorway running would be better for its size.??

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2017  ·  #4
From entering Spain take the AP7 as it's a tolled motorway and it will get you to Girona then onto Barcelona, then change onto the A7 between Barcelona and Taragona and that will get you to Salou and on a bit further south without tolls. The N340 is a normal road which takes the artics along the coast and it will get you along to Valencia while also passing the numerous campsites along the way.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2017  ·  #5
Hi Seedoo, if you are coming from Cherbourg you have a free motorway to Poitiers via Rennes .there you have the choice of R.N.10 or Autoroute 10 to Bordeaux. or A83 at Nantes which leads on to A10. Left at Bordeaux on A62 to Narbonne on to A9 in the direction of Perpignan and La Jouquera, (old spanish border post) where it becomes AP7 and if you follow this you miss out Barcelona and come out for Sitges/Tarragona coast. Have you checked the french motorway charges as they go on the height of your headlamps etc as to class and cost. Spanish charge motorhomes at car rates. I know your problem regards size as I used to do Furniture Removals from UK to all along the Costas .

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2017  ·  #6
P.S. just checked for french motorway charges and because of your size i.e. over 3.5 tonnes and 3 meters height you are the same as a 2 axle lorry Class 3. Which can make them very handy but also very costly

Seadoo
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #7
Quote by the fat controller

From entering Spain take the AP7 as it's a tolled motorway and it will get you to Girona then onto Barcelona, then change onto the A7 between Barcelona and Taragona and that will get you to Salou and on a bit further south without tolls. The N340 is a normal road which takes the artics along the coast and it will get you along to Valencia while also passing the numerous campsites along the way.
Thanks fat controller

Seadoo
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #8
Quote by nilrac

P.S. just checked for french motorway charges and because of your size i.e. over 3.5 tonnes and 3 meters height you are the same as a 2 axle lorry Class 3. Which can make them very handy but also very costly
Hi Nilrac thanks for your advice ill be looking into that route your a great help

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2017  ·  #9
I don't have a map handy, so don't have the road numbers, but the motorway south from Clermont-Ferrand, I think it's the A 75,
till it joins the A9 is free except for the Millau bridge crossing, which is worth a detour on its own

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #10
Well worth a visit if you are going that way , The Millau Bridge which goes under the name of The Bridge in the Sky it is fantastic if you have a head for heights

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #11
Quote by presstout1

I don't have a map handy, so don't have the road numbers, but the motorway south from Clermont-Ferrand, I think it's the A 75,
till it joins the A9 is free except for the Millau bridge crossing, which is worth a detour on its own

It might be toll free but it will cost you extra on Diesel, if my memory serves me right there are parts of that Road over 1100m over sea level, It is tough going if you have an under powered Motorhome. I found it painful with our last Motorhome and no problem with the current one which is more powerful.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2017  ·  #12
I know that feeling all too well Pat, went that way with the old car pulling a very heavy trailer and at times I thought I could have walked quicker 😂, but it is worth the view from the viewpoint

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2017  ·  #13
If you put eddie stobart trucks crossing millau bridge into your search engine ,you will see the work of the Norman Foster Co, You could say a british bridge in france.

Seadoo
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2017  ·  #14
thanks. to everyone for your help

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.