Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

A weekend with no kids

· 
Posted: 10.07.2017  ·  #1
Our kids were exported to a Sister-in-law on Friday for a few days, allowing my wife and a chance to run free in the MH. The original plan was down to the Castleoaks hotel on Friday night (parking app location ) Castleconnell co Limerick. Saturday night in Doonbeg and then Sunday night was going to be wherever we end up. So what happened?
Home friday after work Android we were on the road for 7.30 . We landed into the Castleoaks hotel just before 9 pm. The carpark was quite full, but we squeezed into a spot. We then reported to reception as requested by the app, to be informed that because the hotel was hosting a wedding there was no room for campers to park, and we were asked very nicely to leave. Since Doonbeg was our destination we decided to travel onto Bunratty Castle.
Turn in at the Dirty Nellie pub and travel down the road towards the main car park for the castle. Park on the side of the road beside the car park, plenty of room, as the main castle car park has lots of no camping/campers signage.
We caught the last food orders in Dirty Nellie (before 9.45 pm) and a couple of pints later, we were ready to snore.
Saturday morning started early with a spin into the Shannon Spring hotel in Shannon town to see the Lions match, €15 breakfast, a pint and match, not too bad at 8.30 am.
Later on we headed for Kilrush, loop Head, Kilkee and then to Doonbeg strand camping. Amanda was wonderful in welcoming us and showing us around. The pitches were perfect, no need for the levelling ramps and all the needs for camping fully thought out.
A spin into Doonbeg on the bikes but with the lovely sunshine on Saturday afternoon, led us to find a few cold heineken pints. After return back to site we were entained by one of the guys playing a guitar and singing along.
Sunday morning after bidding farewell to Amanda and Jamie we headed north along the Wild Atlantic Way. The Willie Clancy festival was in full swing in Milltown Malbay but there wasn't parking within 2 miles of it so we moved onto Lahinch.
As usual there was cars parked into 2 camper bays but the parking officer couldn't find the owners to shift them, but in fairness he allowed us to park in a bus bay for an hour. A stroll on the beach, a little laugh at the poor souls freezing in the surf and a cuppa out of the hand, we left the parking officer still hunting for car owners.
The weather turned ugly, so a quick planning meeting, and off to Galway city.
We landed at about 3pm on the docks in Galway but this been our first time there I quickly discovered a lot of the problems discussed on this forum. Between Galway town council and the docklands Authority put up meters, signage, lamp posts, flower boxes etc, 70% of parking spaces are too short for most MH. Our patience prevailed a spot became available and in about 20 seconds we were parked up and gone into town. 2€ per hour from 8am to 7pm and then 4€ for overnight . The facilities is brillant but after witnessing the mess left by some people last night, I think that there could be trouble in the future. What sort of a muppet leave out their empty fast food rubbish along with empty cans beside the already full bins for the sea gulls to pull apart?
We moved on this morning to Salthill promenade and had breakfast looking over Galway Bay. This is why we have a MH and enjoy the moment.
By now the kids have been returned with a reminder that the next weekend sleep over will not happen for another year!!!!!!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: A weekend with no kids

· 
Posted: 10.07.2017  ·  #2
Quote by Thorn123

Our kids were exported to a Sister-in-law on Friday for a few days, allowing my wife and a chance to run free in the MH. The original plan was down to the Castleoaks hotel on Friday night (parking app location ) Castleconnell co Limerick. Saturday night in Doonbeg and then Sunday night was going to be wherever we end up. So what happened?
Home friday after work Android we were on the road for 7.30 . We landed into the Castleoaks hotel just before 9 pm. The carpark was quite full, but we squeezed into a spot. We then reported to reception as requested by the app, to be informed that because the hotel was hosting a wedding there was no room for campers to park, and we were asked very nicely to leave. Since Doonbeg was our destination we decided to travel onto Bunratty Castle.
Turn in at the Dirty Nellie pub and travel down the road towards the main car park for the castle. Park on the side of the road beside the car park, plenty of room, as the main castle car park has lots of no camping/campers signage.
We caught the last food orders in Dirty Nellie (before 9.45 pm) and a couple of pints later, we were ready to snore.
Saturday morning started early with a spin into the Shannon Spring hotel in Shannon town to see the Lions match, €15 breakfast, a pint and match, not too bad at 8.30 am.
Later on we headed for Kilrush, loop Head, Kilkee and then to Doonbeg strand camping. Amanda was wonderful in welcoming us and showing us around. The pitches were perfect, no need for the levelling ramps and all the needs for camping fully thought out.
A spin into Doonbeg on the bikes but with the lovely sunshine on Saturday afternoon, led us to find a few cold heineken pints. After return back to site we were entained by one of the guys playing a guitar and singing along.
Sunday morning after bidding farewell to Amanda and Jamie we headed north along the Wild Atlantic Way. The Willie Clancy festival was in full swing in Milltown Malbay but there wasn't parking within 2 miles of it so we moved onto Lahinch.
As usual there was cars parked into 2 camper bays but the parking officer couldn't find the owners to shift them, but in fairness he allowed us to park in a bus bay for an hour. A stroll on the beach, a little laugh at the poor souls freezing in the surf and a cuppa out of the hand, we left the parking officer still hunting for car owners.
The weather turned ugly, so a quick planning meeting, and off to Galway city.
We landed at about 3pm on the docks in Galway but this been our first time there I quickly discovered a lot of the problems discussed on this forum. Between Galway town council and the docklands Authority put up meters, signage, lamp posts, flower boxes etc, 70% of parking spaces are too short for most MH. Our patience prevailed a spot became available and in about 20 seconds we were parked up and gone into town. 2€ per hour from 8am to 7pm and then 4€ for overnight . The facilities is brillant but after witnessing the mess left by some people last night, I think that there could be trouble in the future. What sort of a muppet leave out their empty fast food rubbish along with empty cans beside the already full bins for the sea gulls to pull apart?
We moved on this morning to Salthill promenade and had breakfast looking over Galway Bay. This is why we have a MH and enjoy the moment.
By now the kids have been returned with a reminder that the next weekend sleep over will not happen for another year!!!!!!

I am a bit disappointed to hear about ye having to leave the Castle oaks due to a wedding as there are weddings there regularly. they were suppose to be developing a new site for Motorhomes, did ye see any sign of this work going on? Perhaps it should be pulled off the app until it is ready or Maybe someone should contact them to Clarify what is going on.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2017  ·  #3
There is quite a large grass area, about 2 acres along the river but seemingly they are afraid to allow parking on it . The car park has fair slope so getting level would be an issue. I hadn't been there for about 15 or 16 years and I was surprised by the amount of housing built on the site.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Castleoaks hotel

· 
Posted: 11.07.2017  ·  #4
Pat ,I put a recommendation on the app for people to contact the hotel before they land, so hopefully one else will get caught.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2017  ·  #5
Quote by Thorn123

Pat ,I put a recommendation on the app for people to contact the hotel before they land, so hopefully one else will get caught.

Well done Malcolm :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.