BARTRE
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado T334
Base Vehicle: FIAT DUCATO
Subject:

motorhome /caravan sat-nav

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #1
i am thinking of purchasing a sat -nav that i can input the size and weight of my motorhome, has any of our craic members used such a sat- nav ? are they worth the cost ? if so what is the best to buy your response would be much appreciated Trevor

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: motorhome /caravan sat-nav

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #2
That topic was discussed at length in the past Trevor, Try a search and you might find the posts

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2017  ·  #3
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2017  ·  #4
Results from SatNav search below, hopefully some info on here.
If you have a GPS enabled tablet then google "Sygic", it's a tablet based app that I find superb. There is a truck version too.

SatNav threads on MotorhomeCraic

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2017  ·  #5
Ive been using a Garmin Nuvi2495LTM for a few years now and mostly without a problem but having encountered two low bridges on this trip to France i am considering one of the motor home types. The only problem that i see is no one can really facilitate the width of vehicles as thgis has not been mapped. Weight..yes, height..yes but not width so still the chance of the odd narrow road.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2017  ·  #6
GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2017  ·  #7
Quote by the fat controller

truck versions allow for width as well

Hi John..yes was looking at the truck versions on the Garmin web site and at the bottom in small print was this notification.

Entering your truck’s profile characteristics does not guarantee your truck’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions.

Also on other discussions i have seen mention of the fact that the roads have never been mapped for width so im not sure if it works for width.

philstoke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido 786F
Base Vehicle: 03 Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.06.2017  ·  #8
I have a Garmin Camper sat nat and its rubbish, I have even put in that my motorhome is larger than its actual size and it still tries to take me down narrow roads and over weight limit and under low bridges, the trouble is I don't think the mapping companies have a lot of this sort of info on the roads.
I hav't found a sat nav yest that can even just keep you on A and B roads without taking you on a cross country tour to cut off a section.
I believe the Tom Tom Camper sat nav is a little better because usera can send updates on missing restrictions

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2017  ·  #9
Quote by JJF

Results from SatNav search below, hopefully some info on here.
If you have a GPS enabled tablet then google "Sygic", it's a tablet based app that I find superb. There is a truck version too.

SatNav threads on MotorhomeCraic

I decided to give Sygic a try last week and was very impressed (except for the one occasion it tried to take me up a small lane near Glengarrif :-) ) I was using the free trial of the RV version but i have to wonder is it worth the extra over the standard car version. What version do you use JJF?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2017  ·  #10
I'm only running the car version mark. I've got an email from the developers with a special offer for the truck/RV version that I may avail of. Be useful to have the MH dimensions input.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2017  ·  #11
Thats my thinking too Jon. They have a special offer on the standard car version of €19.99 with lifetime live updates and the head-up display included. Whereas the RV version is €79 and Head-up display is €9.99. Plus the live updates are then a further €14.99 per year. The standard version is incredible value.

That said, i tested the height on a bridge I know in Galway and it brought me around another way rather than bring me near the bridge.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #12
Jon, I bit the bullet and paid for the RV version of Sygic. Have to say I am very happy with it so far but have noticed that it likes to try and take me up narrow lanes if it can get me there 5 seconds faster :-)

copperman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elangh 120super
Base Vehicle: Renault master
Subject:

sat nav

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #13
i have a snooper motorhome sat nav,it lets me put in the hieght ,width, and length,it works ok up to now

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #14
Quote by Elmo

Jon, I bit the bullet and paid for the RV version of Sygic. Have to say I am very happy with it so far but have noticed that it likes to try and take me up narrow lanes if it can get me there 5 seconds faster :-)

Good stuff.... I've been looking at it too and have a discount code for it, think I will go ahead and buy too.
It's Good to get some feedback from you on the truck version, I find the standard version better than the mainstream stuff and the iPad screen size is good too, coupled to a folder of "travel apps" it leaves everything on one screen.
Thanks for the heads up.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #15
I use the motorhome parking app to chose where i want to go and it then sets the coordinates in Sygic and off we go. the 2 apps work really well together.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #16
Quote by Elmo

I use the motorhome parking app to chose where i want to go and it then sets the coordinates in Sygic and off we go. the 2 apps work really well together.

Yes, both are great together. Sygic also works with park4night/Campercontact and the ACSI app too.
Good piece of kit.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #17
Quote by JJF

Quote by Elmo

Yes, both are great together. Sygic also works with park4night/Campercontact and the ACSI app too.
Good piece of kit.

good to know :up:

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #18
I have been using Snooper S7000 for past 4 years and never had a problem. In addition to Sat Nav you have ACSI, Camper Contact and Bord Atlas campsites on it.
They are expensive but I believe worth the money

wolfie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #19
Quote by philstoke

I have a Garmin Camper sat nat and its rubbish, I have even put in that my motorhome is larger than its actual size and it still tries to take me down narrow roads and over weight limit and under low bridges, the trouble is I don't think the mapping companies have a lot of this sort of info on the roads.
I hav't found a sat nav yest that can even just keep you on A and B roads without taking you on a cross country tour to cut off a section.
I believe the Tom Tom Camper sat nav is a little better because usera can send updates on missing restrictions

I also have this sat-nav and think it is brilliant, traveled Ireland, France, Spain, Austria, Italy and Germany with it and it has never let me down and has always found me somewhere to park, either wild camping or campsites, it has them all. If you input your vehicle diminsions and list it as being 4 tonne it keeps you of very narrow lanes. Hope this helps.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #20
Just to complicate things more met this guy from Kilkenny in France this year and he had a BECKER sat nav. The demo he gave me seemed to make it better than my Garmin. Anybody know anything about them.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #21
Quote by thepilote

Just to complicate things more met this guy from Kilkenny in France this year and he had a BECKER sat nav. The demo he gave me seemed to make it better than my Garmin. Anybody know anything about them.

As fitted to Mercedes cars and possibly high end vans. I had it in my last Mercedes but never used it in anger so cant really say how good or bad it is compared to Garmin etc

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.