Towing 2.5 ton, Silverstone and Transcool

BryanM
Craic'er
Subject:

Towing 2.5 ton, Silverstone and Transcool

· 
Posted: 21.06.2017  ·  #1
Off the boat yesterday morning with this little rig.
We were over at MG Live, the big annual show and race meeting at Silverstone for MG enthusiasts of all types, IMG_1439.JPG to compete in the California Cup team auto test competition where teams from the different centres round the country have a go at trying to win the trophy. Good result for Northern Ireland as we won the team prize and I won the event outright but must admit was slightly apprehensive about driving our Laika with a double decker trailer behind it!

As it turned out it wasn't a problem to the old bus and with all the roadworks on the M6, our 50-55 cruising speed was just fine. Overall got just over 22mpg which considering the trailer at 1000kgs was carrying 2 MG Midgets at 700kgs each, wasn't that much worse than its normal 25 mpg!

Having bought a Transcool at the NEC in February, the run up from Silverstone to Cairnryan yesterday gave us a chance to try it out as we drove. We positioned it between the front seats blowing one vent to each side, and filled it with water and then some ice cubes. Have to say it's no air conditioning but it never claims to be and certainly makes a difference to your 'coolness' provided the air is blowing over you. Next test will be when we are down near Venice and trying some Citronella oil in it to see if it keeps the mosquitos/midgees at bay!

Picture I am trying to show doesn't seem to be there and not sure how to get it attached. Any help?
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

BryanM
Craic'er
Subject:

Re: Towing 2.5 ton, Silverstone and Transcool

· 
Posted: 21.06.2017  ·  #2
Sorry see picture did attach!

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2017  ·  #3
Would You not be over your Towing Capacity with that Set up.?

BryanM
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #4
No. Laika has 4.2 weight limit and 7.2 ton train weight so can legally pull 3 ton!

Struggles a bit up hill but struggles up some hills with no trailer on!

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #5
I'm sure that rig turned some heads on the journey. Looks hardcore!

Also very interested in the transcool write up.... showed it to the wife on the ipad and got permission to purchase.... I'm just a tad apprehensive as it will be full price now and so few real reviews about. It's mainly for the kids in the rear travelling through France in August, then night times whilst there.

BryanM
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #6
Left it on in the motorhome while we barbecued outside and no it didn't really cool the van, we had the Silverscreens on and the blackout blinds down during the day which makes an enormous difference.
Where it was good, is if the air from it is blowing over you as it definitely has a cooling effect. With no aircon in the bus, it is a neat unit that doesn't take up a lot of space and can be moved around easy. Not sure if it's worth theĀ£299 we paid, if you look in YouTube there are instruction to make something similar out of a insolated picnic box, but anything I could have made would have been a bit of a bodge up!
Hopefully it's other plus will be when you can add essential oils to keep mossies/midges at bay as it has a long lead so hopefully can sit under the table when outside, to save the eaten alive legs!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.