Sean61
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Euramobil 515
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 1997
Subject:

Poor radio reception

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #1
I've got a 97 Fiat Ducato Eura Mobil camper and the radio reception is terrible. I can pick up a couple of stations when parked up but once i have anything like the lights, reversing camera or phone charger switched on I mostly just get interference! Would I need a new aerial or is it the radio at fault?

lamont1309
My Motorhome: McLouis 431
Base Vehicle: 2000 Ducato 1.9td
Subject:

Re: Poor radio reception

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #2
my 2000 ducato aerial is total rubbish too. That said i cant really hear the radion over the racket of the blinds and the 1.9td! thought about maybe converting to a DAB aerial and head unit at some point.

Sean61
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #3
Can you pick up DAB stations nationwide or is it just in the cities? I got the loan of another head unit off a mate this evening and it seems better but still not great

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Poor radio reception

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #4
Sounds more like what you need is an old-fashioned suppressor on the power supply to the radio and possibly an earth wire to the aerial base.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #5
I have frequently read on other forums that the converters disconnect the ariel when building but don't fit a new ariel to coachbuilts. I can't recall which specific makes, but google might throw up some links. Many people fitted a new ariel ( often an internal windscreen ariel) which went some way to rectifying the problem.

Worth trying a new ariel or coat hanger before spending lots on replacement radios.

Davy

Sean61
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #6
My aerial is mounted to the front wing and looks like it's oem but I'm not sure. I tried to remove it today so i could earth it but the wing is double skinned and i had no access to the back of it.
The power suppressor sounds interesting, I'll have to do some research on that 🤔
The fact that i can pick up all the stations before switching the engine on has me thinking that it has to be some kind of interference rather than reception problem

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.