Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

Tyre Type for France

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #1
I was told by another MH owner that in a tyre centre in Omagh the owner said that there were specific types of tyre that were required by law in France for MH due to side wall strength??

I googled but found nothing useful. Surely a commercial van would have tyres with sidewalls strong enough to take commercial loads so what would be additional requirements of a MH tyre.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Tyre Type for France

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #2
Never come across this on any of the many forums I have frequented over the last 8 years. I should imagine that equipment fitted to your vehicle and accepted in your home country would be acceptable for short holidays abroad. I reckon it is up there with breathalysers and headlight alignment. The gendarme have better things to do with their time.

I do accept though that Motorhome tyres have stronger side walls than van tyres due to the fact that Motorhomes usually run near to their maximum weight all the time compared to vans which rarely spend much time fully loaded. It has not stopped me using van tyres on my last van quite happily which many others also do.

Davy

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Tyre Type for France

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #3
The theory behind that is as Motorhomes spend a considerable amount of time parked up ,it puts a lot of undue pressure and stress on sidewalls.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #4
I understand the theory, its the practice that I am wondering about. I cant imagine a gendarme getting their tight jodpur type trousers ripped bending down to check my types...I was just wondering if there is an actual regulation that I need to be aware of.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #5
Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #6
Maybe bring your current test report ( not the disc) with you since the tester had to examine tyres. We heading to France as well and when we purchased our MH nearly two years ago, it came with new tyres.
The only things that I can think of with tyre regs are, size, weight capacity, thread depth and CE markings.
Maybe there is something requiring summer tyres down in the south of France, where road temperature is hot.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #7
E U regulations apply what you use at home is what you use away , C tyres are OK ,CP tyres are for campers as they can take higher pressures and the sunlight over a longer amount of years and I personally use LT tyres as my van is rated 4000 kg

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2017  ·  #8
I'm veteran as holidays in France are concerned and I do follow French news as well as some French motorhome sites, but I've never heard of special obligations for motorhome tyres.
As far as I know: France has only two more or less specific traffic rules (apartfrom driving right side of the road):
- You posess at least two breathalyzers on board two check if you've drunk to much. However, they're unreliable and bad for the environment when wasted (you must replace them regularly). Further more, there's no fine on not having them, so don't bother.
- You may not have poi of exact locations of speed camera's in your navigation. I never heard of someone being caught, but this time there is a serious fine: 1400 euro, plus confiscation of your navigation. Indication of danger zones is no problem.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2017  ·  #9
No Peter there are no special obligations about tyres we were only talking about the different types available to use

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2017  ·  #10
Glad you mention it. Topic starter gave me another idea
[quote]I was told by another MH owner that in a tyre centre in Omagh the owner said that there were specific types of tyre that were required by law in France for MH due to side wall strength?? [unquote]

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.