Gas for Europe

dwaned
Subject:

Gas for Europe

· 
Posted: 04.06.2017  ·  #1
Hi all, wonder if anyone can help with this. I've two red propane gas bottles with the regulator fitted to the wall of the gas cabinet. We're going to Europe long term and I'm trying to work out what way to go about it. I know LPG is the most common but with a screw on top, not like our push on top here. So can anyone tell me what the best way to go about it is, change the bottles, different regulator etc. Would prefer a refillable system if possible. TIA

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Gas for Europe

· 
Posted: 04.06.2017  ·  #2
If you can tell or show what you have fitted . example .Are your regulators screw on or pop top .are you using Irish bottles or UK.
You will get a more accurate answer.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Gas for Europe

· 
Posted: 05.06.2017  ·  #3
Quote by dwaned

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help with this. I've two red propane gas bottles with the regulator fitted to the wall of the gas cabinet. We're going to Europe long term and I'm trying to work out what way to go about it. I know LPG is the most common but with a screw on top, not like our push on top here. So can anyone tell me what the best way to go about it is, change the bottles, different regulator etc. Would prefer a refillable system if possible. TIA

If you're going to Europe long term and can afford the initial outlay then refillable LPG would be your easiest solution, either the bottles from gaslow or alugas which would cost £700/800 in the uk, not sure how much in ROI or an underslung tank which is likely to cost more but it would give you the original gas locker for storage. Either way best to get an external fill point as many countries insist on this method to refill the bottles. And the different adaptors you'll need when refilling.
Btw although I have heard of people doing the work themselves you are dealing with gas so unless you're an expert I would recommend getting the installation done by an expert.
Enjoy your travels

clunegapyears
Craic'er
Homepage: clunegapyears.com
My Motorhome: Adria Sonic Supreme
Base Vehicle: Fiat Iveco 3 ltr
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2017  ·  #4
Completely agree with Strand camping. We are full time and have spent one year and six months in about two years in mainland Europe - LPG widely available. Only refused in one gas station even though we have an external filling point. I've heard lots of stories of people being refused with refillable bottles without external fill point. The only country we could not get LPG is Finland. Enjoy your travels… We certainly are.

dwaned
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #5
Apologies for the late reply. I'll look into getting a system installed as I probably won't be returning to Ireland. Thanks for the replies and info.

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #6
I'm afraid it's not that easy. Nearly each country has it's own gas system. Holland and Germanyhave refillable bottles, with a thread opposite to small British/Irish. France has a system with bottles to exchange empty for full, but these bottles doesn't fit to Dutch systems. Spain also has exchangable bottles, bot other ones then France.
Is this our united Europe???

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #7
Since Peter raised his gas concerns here about a month ago, I been researching this as Europe is on our cards longterm. I accept that each country as it's own cylinder and coupling.
I have found a possibility but I haven't had enough of time to research properly. Campingaz have a 6 kg cylinder which is seemly easily exchangeable across Europe. It uses campingaz regulator and connectors and all campingaz gear is standardised across Europe. The cylinder model number is 907. The Irish importer is Mc Eoins based in Dingle Co. Kerry, but their website is short on detail. Maybe someone else will have a go at finding better information.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #8
I think the answer is a refillable system. The gas is available throughout Europe at a lot of filling stations and a kit of simple fittings to access different LPG/GPL pumps in different countries is all that's required.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2017  ·  #9
Donagheys sell a selection of the different connectors for the refillable system that covers the european variations

JacSprat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2017  ·  #10
Having just returned from a long eastern Europe trip and visiting about 12 countries LPG is the way to go for cheapness and ease. Only in parts of Italy were we refused and even then going away from highways you'll find it. We had to get external orifice fitted though as they don't like the look of cylinders - even if fixed- for some reason

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.