What is it with Salthill Galway

Mike C
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty, LHD, 28 years old
Base Vehicle: Talbot Express
Subject:

What is it with Salthill Galway

· 
Posted: 25.05.2016  ·  #1
Hoping to stay in Galway during the festival.
But Salthill Caravan Park just will not respond to emails, and looking at their history on the Forum they don't exactly seem to be customer friendly.

What gives???

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: What is it with Salthill Galway

· 
Posted: 25.05.2016  ·  #2
Stayed there last summer, and won't be there again. No concept of customer service. We arrived and were put right up overlooking sea. Great, I thought, but very quickly realised we we only one odd several who were squeezed in a small, in my view, unsafe area, in the event of an emergency, as there was no way to exit rapidly in the event of a need to move quickly. Pity, such nice walk to shops etc. There is another site rite beside this site, but the name slips my mind right now.

Mike C
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty, LHD, 28 years old
Base Vehicle: Talbot Express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2016  ·  #3
I guess the one next door is O’Halloran’s.

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2016  ·  #4
I would suggest you might try O'Hallorans they have 2 park's in Salthill
Contact details
O’Halloran’s Caravan & Camping Park,
Salthill, Galway, Ireland

Tel: +353 (0) 86 874 7422

Email: info@CaravanParkGalway.com

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2016  ·  #5
I was going to stay there a few years ago and leave the camper parked in the carpark for about three hours the next morning while we went into Galway. He said no problem but wanted to charge me for a second night for the privilege. :o I let him finish filling in the check-in form and told him he was a rip off merchant and left. There is a smaller site ( Bayview ) almost directly across the road and when I asked them about leaving the van in the carpark while we went into Galway they said no problem, I could leave it for the day if I wanted. I've stayed in this site a couple of times since, small but clean and friendly.
https://www.google.ie/maps/pla…d-9.105885

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2016  ·  #6
I can safely say Salthil Caravan Park has THE most obnoxious and rude receptionist I've ever come across !

After several emails with no response, and leaving phone messages every day since Wednesday, again with no repsonse, we arrived on Saturday, and asked for a pitch for the night. I was basically grunted at to say 2 nights minimum, and when I said, no, I only need one night, it was another grunt. I did mention the fact that I'd tried phoning only to be told "well the phones were busy today" and grunted at again. I hate bad customer service, so I did continue and tell herthat we had tried and tried to make contact during the week, both by email and by phone,and it would have saved us both wasting our time if they had the decency to reply. Response was another grunt. Rudest woman ever to grace a reception desk. Needless to say I would never even consider going back there. Never, ever, ever. Ever.

Like others have mentioned, we went across the road to Bayview Camping park which was the total opposite. We got a fantastic welcome and the guy in charge (owner, I think) was friendly and more than helpful during our stay. Site itself was grand. Lots of tents in the lower part, separate to the caravans & motorhomes whcih were up the steep hill, on hardstandings. Facilities were a little dated, but clean & well kept.
I'd definitely stay there again.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2016  ·  #7
No point in emailing them a complaint then? :lol:

On a srious note. Thanks for the info. I am sure others will take note.

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2016  ·  #8
Many years ago - in our premotorhome days - we went to Salthill in our trailer tent when we arrived we were not impressed but having driven all day to get there decided to book in for a night any way.
Being shown to our "pitch" by the obligatory old boy on a rickety bike we started to set up the tent. It was quite breezy and we noticed nothing untoward.
Later that night the wind dropped and there was the most horrendous stench - next morning as we were packing up I discovered why, our pitch was positioned right on top of the septic tank which was full to the point of overflowing!

DM1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2016  ·  #9
I stayed at Bayview this week. 22 euro for myself and the T5. Pleasant staff, facilities are a bot outdated but all fine. I would say it could get very crowded though and you are looking out over houses but I would stay there again.

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2016  ·  #10
Decided to head for Galway last weekend. Went directly to Salthill caravan park to be told he was full. Went across the road to Bayview campsite and have to say we were the lucky ones. Had not stayed in Bayview before but were greeted by a very friendly young lady who showed us a couple of pitches which would suit our van. Campsite is small and dated but kept clean and tidy. What we really appreciated was the friendly and helpful service given by David and his staff. We will be returning to Bayview but not to Salthill caravan site as, later when we were waiting on bus into Galway we observed some caravans and motorhomes gaining access to the site.. I understand he does not accept reservations so how did these get spaces???? Some were foreign tourists.
When will Galway City Council cop on and provide an Aire in the city?? There were campers everywhere and many foreigners parked in the usual areas where the NO Campers signs were. We watched many vans late in the evening, trying to get into the campsites in Salthill and then, in frustraion, leaving the area for destinations further West.

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2016  ·  #11
We are in Galway at present sitting at the docks for 4€ a night from 7 in the evening to 8 in the morn. €2per hr otherwise. Still works out cheaper than the caravan site. I was speaking to the ticket master this morning and he tells me you can park for €8 per 24 hrs in the other side of the docks providing your van can get in and out of the narrow entrance. Happy days

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2017  ·  #12
Was in Salthill last week.
Have to agree on the "customer service" or lack of it.
Seems to me they are trying to extract every last €.
Cash only no cards accepted.
Coin meters on everything including 50c for hot water to wash your dishes.
Had emailed him twice, no reply.

Had a good pitch on our second night right up on the sea wall on a hard standing and in comes himself with 3 german vans and plonks them on the grass in front of us. Instead of waking up to a view of Galway Bay it was the back of a hymer with a rather nice motorcycle on it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.