moomat
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes 709d
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Mechanic needed for 7.5t Mercedes

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #1
I'm looking for a good affordable mechanic in or around Dublin who has facilities for working on a large vehicle.
It's a Mercedes 709d, was never a bus but they were quite popular as buses. I've always done the work on my own vans but this is a little heavy for me.
Failed the doe on a link arm, uj and king pins. The king pins are the biggy, getting quotes circa 2k and haven't got it at the moment.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2017  ·  #2
You could try Robert Fox in Ashford Co.Wicklow he has the facilities and is a good mechanic 0868121358. If that's not too far away from you.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Mechanic needed for 7.5t Mercedes

· 
Posted: 02.04.2017  ·  #3
I got some work done recently by Ger in Maynooth Motorhomes, great service and very reasonable. They have a couple of heavy duty ramps, can't say for sure they can take 7.5t but give them a call.

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2017  ·  #4
Quote by sprinter

You could try Robert Fox in Ashford Co.Wicklow he has the facilities and is a good mechanic 0868121358. If that's not too far away from you.

Thanks, I'll give him a shout. Definitely willing to travel for a good mechanic.

pol
Craic'er
Subject:

Lucky you.

· 
Posted: 03.04.2017  ·  #5
Quote by kevinmoore

I got some work done recently by Ger in Maynooth Motorhomes, great service and very reasonable. They have a couple of heavy duty ramps, can't say for sure they can take 7.5t but give them a call.

Gosh you were in luck if you found Ger in Maynooth Motorhomes VERY RESONABLE :'(

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2017  ·  #6
Quote by kevinmoore

I've been speaking to Ger already about it. Seems like a nice honest guy but it's probably not the best place to get this work done. Thanks anyway!

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.04.2017  ·  #7
Have a look at STEMCO Kaiser Quick Kit Training on Utube, I know its a truck but you will see the outs and ins of king pin replacement and you could search for more revelant info. You will see its no mystery just good mechanical practice and can be carried out by any good commercial fitter.

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #8
Quote by nilrac

Have a look at STEMCO Kaiser Quick Kit Training on Utube, I know its a truck but you will see the outs and ins of king pin replacement and you could search for more revelant info. You will see its no mystery just good mechanical practice and can be carried out by any good commercial fitter.

Thanks for the link.

The difficulty with this model I believe is that fact that the cab can't be tilted. This means that the axle needs to come out usually. Trying to find a mechanic that won't charge through the nose for messing around with 30 year old axles is hard. Thankfully, I've found just the lad...I think! Dropped van off today.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #9
Good to hear you may be sorted. keep us posted. :up:

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2017  ·  #10
Irish Drive Shaft Services on the Long Mile are now refurbishing drop arms, steering links, universal joints. Only hear this today. They only dealing with the item to be repaired, as they have no fitting service. Sometimes a refurbishment is alot cheaper in the long run than a breakers yard

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2017  ·  #11
Hope you get it sorted but it's no different to the old TK Bedford's, their cabs didn't tilt and the only way to change an engine was to drop the axle or take the cab off. I think the modern day spanner wants it all on a bench or throw it away. They are not mechanics just fitters.

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2017  ·  #12
Quote by Thorn123

Irish Drive Shaft Services on the Long Mile are now refurbishing drop arms, steering links, universal joints. Only hear this today. They only dealing with the item to be repaired, as they have no fitting service. Sometimes a refurbishment is alot cheaper in the long run than a breakers yard

That's really handy to know, thanks! The shaft was going to them for the UJ anyway as Mercedes only do a whole shaft. I agree on avoiding the breakers yard. We hope to keep it for many years so it will be new or reconditioned where possible/appropriate.

Quote by nilrac

Hope you get it sorted but it's no different to the old TK Bedford's, their cabs didn't tilt and the only way to change an engine was to drop the axle or take the cab off. I think the modern day spanner wants it all on a bench or throw it away. They are not mechanics just fitters.

Very true!

I qualified as a mechanic in 2002 (and ran as fast as I could). Good old fashioned detective work was still common as ECU's were not very advanced. There does seem to be a reluctance to get hands dirty now and immediately blame the fault given by the diagnostics. Things like broken or loose hoses are overlooked and a turbo replaced instead :D

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2017  ·  #13
TK Bedford's,was that something during the war. O-) :D

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2017  ·  #14
The TK Bedford was produced in Dunstable from 1960 until 1990 in one form or another from lorries ,buses to army cargo trucks and some are still at work in various parts of the world, that was the time when the UK had its own truck industry.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2017  ·  #15
Sorry Pat I was taking the P**s ,I drove a 5 ton Bedford around the whole of Ireland and some of England for 4 Yrs. in the early 80ies for 186,000 miles and have the Thinness to live with for my sins.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2017  ·  #16
Good man Martin then you will share with me the comforts of freezing in the winter and baking in the summer not to mention sleeping across the front seat.Its not hard to see why Merc Scania Volvo etc stole the show

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #17
UPDATE-

Was up to my eyes recently, forgot all about updating the thread.

Collected the van from the mechanic a couple of weeks ago. Excellent job and very competitively priced. They are based in Clondalkin Dublin 22. A HGV mechanic for the most part, they also do lighter commercials and motorhomes. Great team there led by Mick, the owner. As a qualified mechanic myself, I'm probably quite a fussy customer. Had no worries leaving it in Mick's hands.

https://www.facebook.com/J-A-C…543890523/

It needs to go for a full retest, hopefully they don't find anything new!

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2017  ·  #18
Brilliant news! Best of luck with the re-test! Cheers for the update!

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2017  ·  #19
Quote by killiand

Brilliant news! Best of luck with the re-test! Cheers for the update!

Thanks! Fingers crossed

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2017  ·  #20
UPDATE-

So, things didn't work out exactly as planned.

Booked the van in for its test safe in the knowledge that all the bits had been done. There had been a little squeak from the power steering belt so I decided to tighten up the belt. I was early for my test so pulled in around the corner and popped the bonnet.

The belt was indeed slipping but not for the reason I thought. The pump had worked itself loose and was being held on by a single bolt that was half out and by the belt itself. On closer inspection, I noticed that the other 4 bolts had sheared off and left the remainders stuck in the head. I had to cancel the test and nurse it back to the garage with the help of some cable ties and conservative steering!

It was a messy job to get the bolts out but thankfully all complete now and the van has passed its test! :D

Still haven't taken a trip in it this summer but that will change soon :)

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2017  ·  #21
Good man moomat,down there for dancing,but up there for thinking !

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2017  ·  #22
great that you found it and solved it!! sheared bolts - must've come under some serious pressure??

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #23
Quote by killiand

great that you found it and solved it!! sheared bolts - must've come under some serious pressure??

Thanks. A lucky escape! I'd say another few km's and the last bolt would have sheared then I would have had a powersteering pump gone awol very close to my radiator, fan etc.

It's a large rattly engine so that probably worked the bolts loose a little - then the way the pump is mounted means the belt is pulling strongly on bolts that aren't fully in. Pop, pop, pop :D

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #24
Quote by moomat

Quote by killiand

Thanks. A lucky escape! I'd say another few km's and the last bolt would have sheared then I would have had a powersteering pump gone awol very close to my radiator, fan etc.

It's a large rattly engine so that probably worked the bolts loose a little - then the way the pump is mounted means the belt is pulling strongly on bolts that aren't fully in. Pop, pop, pop :D

As you say a very lucky escape,hopefully now it is onwards and upwards.
I bet that this will be an area of routine inspection for a while.
Get out and enjoy it now. :up:

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #25
Jeepers! That would've been a nightmare! Well done on rescuing the situation! Maybe some thread tape or double up the nuts for peace of mind?!

moomat
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #26
Quote by ntg

Quote by moomat

Quote by killiand

As you say a very lucky escape,hopefully now it is onwards and upwards.
I bet that this will be an area of routine inspection for a while.
Get out and enjoy it now. :up:

Thanks! Heading off in the morning for our first trip of the summer :)

Have spoke to a couple of people and it seems to be a common enough problem on them.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.