Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

Donegal Campsites.

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #1
Hi all,

Heading to Donegal for a couple of days mostly around Donegal town and up through Killybegs to Glencolumcille. looking at staying at Lakeside Caravan Park in Ballyshannon. Mixed reviews about the attitude of the owner and pricing, has anyone stayed there recently ?

8-)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Donegal Campsites.

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #2
If your thinking wild camping there is a carpark at Malin Beg with a portoloo and some of the locals offered water if needed. Lovely beach and shop / cafee about 500mtr.

Hegarty03
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Swift Escape 664
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Donegal Campsites.

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #3
Lovely stopover park outside Killybegs with exceptional views

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #4
There is a site 100 yards from the Diamond in Donegal Town that is not well known, out the Killybegs road on the R/H side called "The Gateway Lodge" ... it has 5 serviced pitches....... very handy as it's a 1 minute stroll into the town
or you have the option to 'wild' at the quay in Donegal Town.

Gateway lodge, tel 074 9740405

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2017  ·  #5
Quote by JJF

There is a site 100 yards from the Diamond in Donegal Town that is not well known, out the Killybegs road on the R/H side called "The Gateway Lodge" ... it has 5 serviced pitches....... very handy as it's a 1 minute all into the town
or you have the option to 'wild' at the quay in Donegal Town.

Gateway lodge, tel 074 9740405

Stayed recently at this one,great site but it is 20 Euro per night.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2017  ·  #6
whats included in site for the night for the 20 euro...is it part of the hotel?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2017  ·  #7
Yes it is part of the Hotel carpark concreted on level plinths each having electric and water conections.there is no other conection between the Hotel regarding functions or anything else.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2017  ·  #8
It's a total rip off if you ask me and I come from very close to Donegal Town. I wouldn't pay it.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2017  ·  #9
Quote by jacktherev

It's a total rip off if you ask me and I come from very close to Donegal Town. I wouldn't pay it.

Would not disagree with you Jack as the night that we stayed we neither used electric or water,in fact we had pitched up and my better half went up to the Hotel to find out the terms and when she returned and told me that she had paid 20 euro i was not best amused.
I suppose it is there for those that are willing to pay that amount of money.
As for the carpark down at the keys it is now a pay and display and i am not sure that you can stay there anymore overnight.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2017  ·  #10
I've not stayed there either, my brother stays there as he has a caravan.
Very handy for town.
Donegal Town is a prime candidate for an Aire, unfortunately there is too many self interested hotel owners with their fingers in the usual "twisted Paddy politics" to allow it to happen.

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2017  ·  #11
Dun Ulun House, west of Killybegs , shown in app, €10 per night, from there Slieve League is well worth a visit, you can drive to the top (Not for the faint hearted)

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2017  ·  #12
As for the carpark down at the keys it is now a pay and display and i am not sure that you can stay there anymore overnight.
[/quote]

The Car Park has been Pay and Display for a long Time.But it's only a Couple of Euro Overnight

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #13
It's possible to overnight in the carpark opposite the Folk Village in Glencolmcille- right beside the beach too. Another good overnight spot is Silver Strand / Tra Ban beach. If you prefer things a bit more lively, we've often parked overnight in Carrick - the carpark in the centre of the town (if you're staying on a Saturday night move away early on a Sunday morning as this carpark is used by massgoers). Plenty of bars and food options and a couple of small shops too- make sure to support local business and you'll be very welcome. The Rusty (Mackeral) Bar in Teelin will also let you overnight in the carpark across the road. Make yourself known to Tony the owner.

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #14
Just a word of warning about the Quay in Donegal Town
I stayed last night and rather than parking in one of the car spaces of which there were plenty,I didn't want to overhang the footpath,I parked long ways in one of the minibus bays.
I woke this morning to find a €40 parking ticket under the wiper and exterior silver screen.I know i probably shouldn't park in a Minibus bay but i thought it was preferable to parking crossways on 3 or 4 car spaces.I've paid the Fine as I know I was in the wrong but I just wanted to Flag it up in case any of you ever think of doing the same.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #15
The quay in Donegal Town is becoming an issue.
I should think that there is pressure behing applied by certain vested interests to deter Motorhomes.
We no longer go to Donegal town because of this and other issues, pity as we like the town and supported the local businesses.
Thankfully there is plenty of other places in the county and elsewhere who welcome us and in particular the Innishowen peninsula with a few of the towns with proper Aires and businesses who welcome our custom.
Vote with your feet ( and wheels) ! and support the councils, the towns and the business owners who have the foresight to provide the simple services we require.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #16
I have parked in the car bays and put two tickets up when taking up one and a half spaces. The traffic wardens were happy with this and wouldn't issue tickets, but did ticket a van taking up two spaces but only had one ticket on.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #17
Quote by manta356

Just a word of warning about the Quay in Donegal Town
I stayed last night and rather than parking in one of the car spaces of which there were plenty,I didn't want to overhang the footpath,I parked long ways in one of the minibus bays.
I woke this morning to find a €40 parking ticket under the wiper and exterior silver screen.I know i probably shouldn't park in a Minibus bay but i thought it was preferable to parking crossways on 3 or 4 car spaces.I've paid the Fine as I know I was in the wrong but I just wanted to Flag it up in case any of you ever think of doing the same.

Anymore Motorhomes there, Paddy? if so did they get fined too? we overnighted there last August just beyond the Tourist office reversed into the Ditch along with approx 6 other Motorhomes with no problem, I know if you park on Bus bays in Dungarvan you will be fined.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Donegal Campsites.

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #18
" I know if you park on Bus bays in Dungarvan you will be fined. " Same in Dingle if you park in the bus spaces you can get done.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #19
We were there ourselves on the May day weekend and did not stay as i had no hope of fitting into the length of a car bay,there were a few vans reversed in against the trees but still out over the lines. We went around to the Aires in the Hotel carpark and were then stung for 20 Euro for a night. I think that this is to much so we will probably not be overnighting in Donegal town anytime soon. Lovely town, lovely resturants but no good if we are not wanted.

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #20
Quote by CHAUSSON

Anymore Motorhomes there, Paddy? if so did they get fined too?

No,we were the only ones there.
I was speaking to the Ladies in the Tourist office who weren't happy with the situation.They told me that another couple left there yesterday claiming that the Traffic warden told them they couldn't park there.
The Tourist Office say that the information they have from the council is that you can park in 2 car parking spaces and apply 2 tickets,as long as you are inside the lines and you will be ok

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #21
Quote by manta356

Quote by CHAUSSON

Anymore Motorhomes there, Paddy? if so did they get fined too?

No,we were the only ones there.
I was speaking to the Ladies in the Tourist office who weren't happy with the situation.They told me that another couple left there yesterday claiming that the Traffic warden told them they couldn't park there.
The Tourist Office say that the information they have from the council is that you can park in 2 car parking spaces and apply 2 tickets,as long as you are inside the lines and you will be ok

I just hope that that mean git of a warden who placed that ticket on your window either reads this or someone tells (him,her)just how well that they serving the town of Donegal.
One Motorhome parked in a carpark overnight and gets a ticket,probably will not be back to Donegal town to stay overnight,who is the loser?

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #22
WE were asked to move on about 3 years ago. We stayed there on a Sunday. No problem until 9am Monday morning when the warden came knocking and suggested we go to the caravan park near the town. Needless to say not been back since.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.