StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Electric

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #1
Just read this article from motorhome fulltime http://www.motorhomefulltime.c…-winnebago
A nearly new MH destroyed cause could have been the EHU lead.
This made me think about some of the issues we have had on the campsite. Firstly my electric points were installed and tested by a qualified electrician and are tested annually and I also self test them on a regular basis. We had one motorhome here that had problems with the electric in his van not only did the problem trip the rcd on my EHU it broke the ehu unit to the extent it needed to be completely replaced. We have a number of others that have tripped the rcd and as we provide 16amp which is more than most campsites and should be plenty for most MH my first question now after asking what they had running on electric is how old is their ehu lead and have they checked it recently. We have spares leads and when I swap mine for theirs the electric does not trip.
So in short it makes sense to keep your ehu lead in a safe, dry place and either check the connections yourself on a regular basis or get a competent person to check it for you.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Electric

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #2
Agree 100% Jamie,

Last year we were away and I noticed that our fridge was not cooling properly on EHU so I unplugged and ran fridge on gas until I got home to check it,
Plugged in at home and everything was normal, I was saying it to another craicer with a newer MH and he had similar problems but his fridge alerted him to a problem, he put a volt meter on incoming EHU and found it was hitting 230v and dropping to 180-190v causing the fridge to go mad, (Same site which will remain nameless of course)

But good advise to check the lead from time to time,

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #3
I have no formal electric training but from work at farming for ten years and then as a welder/fitter in machine engineering for the last 15 years, I had gain knowledge in the area. The following comes with a health warning.
To use 16 amps of power the size of each individual wires in the cable must be 2.5 mm2, eg , the proper orange conection lead.
However most household type extention leads are only 1.5 mm2 which is about 10amp rating. These leads are not rated for outdoor use because the plastic covering is not thick enough to insulate from water.
Power usage, a domestic kettle uses 2 500 watts ( divide watts by the voltage equals amps, 2500÷220=11.4 amps) or needs 12 amps of power to work. Throw in a toaster and 16 amps is used quite quickly.
This year we are needing to france and earlier this spring, I aquired a euh adapter for 10 euro, cheap as chips I thought but it has only a 10 amp rating at 220 volts.
I think the issues that your electrical gird is experiencing are a mixture of the above. Homemade leads using indoor cable with household electrical gear pulling to much power on one point.
It like trying to manage flood water, it will move quickly in a straight line but when it has to change direction or pass under a bridge it slows down. The flow off electricity is the same.
This is the reason why camping shops and MH dealers have shelves of low amp electrical gear.
I hope this explains your problem, but I feel there will be a post afterwards that will be more detailed.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #4
Quote by Thorn123

I have no formal electric training but from work at farming for ten years and then as a welder/fitter in machine engineering for the last 15 years, I had gain knowledge in the area. The following comes with a health warning.
To use 16 amps of power the size of each individual wires in the cable must be 2.5 mm2, eg , the proper orange conection lead.
However most household type extention leads are only 1.5 mm2 which is about 10amp rating. These leads are not rated for outdoor use because the plastic covering is not thick enough to insulate from water.
Power usage, a domestic kettle uses 2 500 watts ( divide watts by the voltage equals amps, 2500÷220=11.4 amps) or needs 12 amps of power to work. Throw in a toaster and 16 amps is used quite quickly.
This year we are needing to france and earlier this spring, I aquired a euh adapter for 10 euro, cheap as chips I thought but it has only a 10 amp rating at 220 volts.
I think the issues that your electrical gird is experiencing are a mixture of the above. Homemade leads using indoor cable with household electrical gear pulling to much power on one point.
It like trying to manage flood water, it will move quickly in a straight line but when it has to change direction or pass under a bridge it slows down. The flow off electricity is the same.
This is the reason why camping shops and MH dealers have shelves of low amp electrical gear.
I hope this explains your problem, but I feel there will be a post afterwards that will be more detailed.

Thanks for the information I think my problem is really the problem of some of the campsite users having dodgy ehu leads, it happens very rarely perhaps 5 times in 3 years but it did highlight to me the need to ensure EHU leads are looked after and fit for purpose.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Electric

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #5
I would agree with all 4 posts .
I would add a couple of extra points . 2.5 Artic cable leads blue and yellow up to 25 mtr should be sufficient , anything longer you should think about heaver cable. the longer the lead the more power drop toy get,to compensate for this drop you use a heaver lead.like to use a 32amp lead and down to 16 amp closer to the van.you will see some EHU posts with 32amp amp and16 amp outlets. Then there is the plugs, 3pin is 13 amp flat faced, like on everything at home are for internal use , outdoor is 16 amp blue round with round pins. continental are usually 2 round pin with side earth x 16 amp.

But and its a BIG BUT no mater what lead you use it MUST always be rolled out full. ALL leads should be rolled or uncoiled fully, so its always a good idea to have leads of various lengths . Example, uncoiled 16 amp x 25Mtr = 16amp. Coiled up the same lead give you about 6 to 7 amps and if you continue to try take more then this, it will overheat and melt the insulation .

Stands to reason if the site owner is offering posts with 2 x16amp , 4x 16 amp or 2x32amp and 2x16 amp he needs to have cable in the ground feeding them big enough to take the total load at one time. This is where you may have had the problem with the fridge , a long line feeding the EHU with the incorrect cable.
All extension cables used in industry now have to be PAT tested and certified . I think everyone should get their leads PAT tested. Any Hire shop or power tool repair shop could do this.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #6
I was in France a couple of years ago and a guy had a polarity tester and for the craic he tested my EHU, it read no earth opened up the plugs and there it was a disconnected earth wire and for how long , who knows . I have now looked at my cable and realise its a 1.5 mm which I have been using for about the last 12 years thanks for your posts I will now renew it for a 2.5 mm cable
PS ..I always use a kettle less than 2000W as I have found its this that trips the EHU the most , SWIMBO bought a 3000 W kettle a few years ago and I never looked at it until we blew nearly every EHU in France with it :D

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Electric

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #7
Quote by eirebus

I was in France a couple of years ago and a guy had a polarity tester and for the craic he tested my EHU, it read no earth opened up the plugs and there it was a disconnected earth wire and for how long , who knows . I have now looked at my cable and realise its a 1.5 mm which I have been using for about the last 12 years thanks for your posts I will now renew it for a 2.5 mm cable
PS ..I always use a kettle less than 2000W as I have found its this that trips the EHU the most , SWIMBO bought a 3000 W kettle a few years ago and I never looked at it until we blew nearly every EHU in France with it :D

Electric Kettles have also been known to blow generators apart, ask anyone who hires small portables , after many bills for generators from hire shops my mate would take a sledge hammer to electric kettles if he found anyone using one on his generators .

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #8
A electric kettle is one of the most power hungry appliances around.
Thinking about this during the afternoon reminded me of a campsite in the south east who had a small electric fire in a control panel a number of years ago when we were there. The site owner was upset, mystify and upset at the event. The guy next to me was an electrical engineer who examined the damage and the system of wiring used and made a discovery. The site had been wired correctly with correct cables, switches, plugs, etc. But there was a flaw in the layout of the underground cables. They were laid in the field like a spider, a central distribution hub with cable running in different directions along the roads, like the spider's legs. His recommendations was that the underground cables should be looped, so electricity can flow both directions to the ehu. The campsite fixed the problem by laying a new underground cable around the outside of the site joining all the last ehu on each row together.
The fire was caused because it was a quiet weekend with everyone parking around the service block hooked up one the same underground cable, and overloaded that part of the system.
Dropping voltage.
This also cures dropping voltage. If you have 4 water taps in a row, turn on the first, good pressure, then turn on the other taps, the fourth tap has only a trickle of water. It the same with electricity. The guy at the end of the cable suffers a current/voltage drop when all the guys before him uses the electricity.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #9
Agree with all the above.
Amps can add up very quickly, should be no problem if the site is wired correctly like Jamie say’s as the Breakers should do their job and trip the circuit/circuits.

Kettle ============= 2500 ÷220 = 11.36 Amps
Fan Heater ========= 1800 ÷220 = 8.19 Amps
Hair Dryer =========== 300 ÷220 = 1.37 Amps
Toaster ============= 870 ÷220 = 3.95 Amps
Tv ======== == ====== 30 ÷220 = 0.13 Amps
George forman grill == 1800 ÷220 = 8.19 Amps
======
Total Amps = 33.19

A campsite owner that I know well told me one day,that you wouldn’t believe what van owners use is unreal.

A very good guide Here http://electrical.theiet.org/w…/index.cfm

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Thorn123

This year we are heading to france and earlier this spring, I aquired a euh adapter for 10 euro, cheap as chips I thought but it has only a 10 amp rating at 220 volts.

Some great advice here and I think my hook-up is up to spec.... and I agree about unwinding the cable fully before use.

But I'm off on my first continental holiday this summer and because of the above quote am wondering do I need to get some other adapter for France?

Also, in the back of my mind I'm trying to remember some mention on the net about Euro campsites having a reversed polarity or similar. Any experts out there can shed ligh in that?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #11
It is only on older and smaller sites in france that polarity is an issue . If you do have a problem swap the blue and brown wires in your lead plug.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #12
Quote by Betty Swollocks

But I'm off on my first continental holiday this summer and because of the above quote am wondering do I need to get some other adapter for France?

Also, in the back of my mind I'm trying to remember some mention on the net about Euro campsites having a reversed polarity or similar. Any experts out there can shed ligh in that?

Hi Betty see here for more info on Polarity.
forum/topic.php?t=14487
forum/post.php?mode=reply&f=4&…ote=110541

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #13
For Tom,
A site that I know very well from my caravan days in Leinster ( different from the one I mentioned before) operates ehu at 8 amps but advertises no domestic electrical gear can be used. We have been there on numberous occasions and customers are giving out to the owner why their kettles won't work. His answer is buy a caravan kettle which pulls 5 amps. It takes about 3 times longer to boil. Like the old saying " a watched kettle never boils".

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #14
Quote by Thorn123

For Tom,
A site that I know very well from my caravan days in Leinster ( different from the one I mentioned before) operates ehu at 8 amps but advertises no domestic electrical gear can be used. We have been there on numberous occasions and customers are giving out to the owner why their kettles won't work. His answer is buy a caravan kettle which pulls 5 amps. It takes about 3 times longer to boil. Like the old saying " a watched kettle never boils".

Lol :lol: I'm surprised he didn't say use you're gas that you have on board instead and still pay me for Electric. :P

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #15
Seen it all, 2kw blow heaters in caravan awnings and no one in them!

We put ours down to 6amp trips and told everyone it was for charging, lights and their fridge. We have been using the same caravan kettle for over 20 years, good things come to those who wait :)

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #16
I known of the owner for years before, some third cousin of my grandparents. We have a electric camping kettle (5 amp) for about 15 years, picked up in France while tenting. I am not worth a s♡♡t in the mornings until I have coffee.
Most campsite owners do a double take of me when I request no hook up. A cylinder of gas would last me about 3 months constantly wild camping because our Chasson uses diesel for the room heater.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2017  ·  #17
Have to agree with previous posts. Inspect your lead regularly for visible damage and ensure its a minimum of 2.5mm. Always uncoil it fully and plug in polarity tester to check earth connection etc. I would also suggest an annual check on your electrical system, just as you should with your gas system and appliances, by a competent person.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.