Craic'er
Homepage: clunegapyears.com
My Motorhome: Adria Sonic Supreme
Base Vehicle: Fiat Iveco 3 ltr
Subject:

Demetic F/F not working on Gas

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #1
OK, so new van in October and F/F has packed up on gas. You can hear it trying to fire up, but no gas. My dealer in England told me to get a Dometic engineer out to it. I took it to a place W of Dublin, but they dealt with electric lorry fridges and I really did not want them touching it ... they did not inspire confidence. Today I took it to a motorhome repair place nearby. The chap was very helpful explaining that I have dirty LPG from using petrol station gas (have a twin Gaslow refillable system and have used one on previous MH too). However, as I potentially have oil in the pipes and possible regulator damage, he really did not want to touch it. He also said my UK dealer should have fitted filters next to the gas bottles ... I have just rung Gaslow and they said the bottles have built in filters and I "should" not need external ones!!

Anyway, we are not planning to return to home base until July and at the moment we are stuck on campsites with EHU. I really do want to be able to wild camp for our Irish and Scottish trips.

Does anyone know of a Dometic engineer ... the van (and fridge) was new in October and so the work should be under warranty ... unless it is due to dirty gas? We are sort of planning to go west and north from Dublin and Belfast-Cairnryan on 25th May.

Any help / advice very gratefully received.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Demetic F/F not working on Gas

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #2
As a matter of interest, does your new van have a Truma regulator, if so they are prone to failure. Others have said about the potential of oil in the gas lines and t may come to the position of the pipework and if it runs back towards the regulator or main cylinder. Having said that the fact it is a new van and gaslow system I cant see the buildup of oil happening in a few months, years maybe but not months, I would think the dealer is looking for a get of jail free card!

clunegapyears
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #3
Thanks FatController. Yes, a Trauma regulator. I've since rang GasIt, the alternative to Gaslow and they were quite firm that we should've had an external filter added - they filter particulate as well as oil. The van and Gaslow were brand new end of October. We full time and English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and now Irish LPG have all been used.

I think, from googling, that we need someone to run compressed air through the system and then at some point get the supplying dealer to retro fit filters. But neither J nor I are at all technical or handy with tools.

What I don't know is if there is any mileage in getting a Dometic engineer to look at the fridge (I suspect not). I also have absolutely no idea where to find someone that could run compressed air through ... if this would solve our immediate problem.

Sadly trying to plot a route looking at campsites! :(

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #4
For Dometic look at the link at the bottom. Hope you get sorted.

forum/topic.php?t=1426

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #5
any motorhome dealer/repairer could sort this for you including mobile ones, your regulator is probably knackered so your choice is either bite the bullet and pay for one to be installed yourself or keep arguing the point with your dealer and try to get him to replace it for you (bearing in mind you have to go to him and spend time hanging around arguing and then getting it fitted) You could try one of our sponsors such as Leisure Tech and explain your predicament and Simon may be able to fit you in on your travels north, or some of the Southern based ones

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #6
Did you try Maynooth Motorhomes on ( No 01 6275740 .).. Clonagh, Maynooth, Co. Kildare. Ireland. They will surly have come across this problem and are agents , they will also have an airline .

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2017  ·  #7
Is it just the fridge giving trouble?

clunegapyears
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2017  ·  #8
I did try Maynooth Motorhomes. It was chap there says he refused to fit these type of systems due to the issues with them. He gave me lots of advice and took time to explain the problems and how it all works. But he was quite honest and said that he did not want to touch it as things can go wrong later even after air has been forced through as they could be damage to regulators et cetera. He also did not hold the parts for such a new fridge. He tried to ring the dometic engineer but he is on holiday for a while.

And yes it is just the fridge that is not working. But the gas on the hob is definitely not quite the right colour which apparently is an indicator of the additives in the gas.

I am going to ring leisure tech this morning to see if they can help. I just hope they don't refuse as well! I will keep you posted how I get on and do appreciate all your help.

clunegapyears
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2017  ·  #9
Booked in with Leisure Tech Thurs morning. Fingers crossed. Many thanks.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2017  ·  #10
Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #11
Wow, just tried to read the journal on your website. I'll need a couple of days. Where to going in Ireland.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #12
I rang LTS a few days ago to book in for a habitation check & a few minor fixes & they told me there was a 2 week waiting list so had to book it in for 2 weeks time. You did well to get in so quickly.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #13
The repair to the gas at the fridge is probably something quick to sort and the fact he is a visitor needing urgent help would also get him in quicker, it probably takes the good part of a day to do a thorough hab check never mind any repairs that need done.

clunegapyears
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2017  ·  #14
Amazing Leisure Technical Big thank you for the recommendation

So we arrived this morning and within 15 minutes they had identified that it was not dirty gas. In fact when I suggested it they raise their eyes as if to suggest that on a six month old van it was extremely unlikely that we had a oil and particulate in the pipes. It was identified that there had been a burn in one of the electrical bits behind the fridge as he immediately spotted that gas was getting to where it should. Part is on order and may arrive tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to fit filters as well as Balt and braces for the future.

Given the dismal prognosis we had it from the motorhome dealer near to Dublin, I am seriously impressed with the skill level and pragmatic and sensible approach at leisure Technical.

We did not travel too far today in the hope that we will be returning tomorrow afternoon for the part. And landed at Oxford Island marina campsite. What a little gem this campsite is - with walking through Meadows and around part of the lake. We would not of discovered it had we been on our original term and plans.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2017  ·  #15
Great stuff!!

LTS know their stuff :)

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2017  ·  #16
Well done LTS. Glad you are getting sorted. Stayed at Kinnego Bay myself a few times, Its a great wee spot.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2017  ·  #17
That was why I was asking was it only the fridge giving trouble,

Glad you are getting sorted,

Well done Simon,

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2017  ·  #18
Tip top!! :) great to see you are getting sorted and in very capable hands!

clunegapyears
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2017  ·  #19
Hi all
Part arrived on Friday afternoon and was promptly fitted ... LTS processing it under warranty too. They also fitted filters to the Gaslow system ... I know some might say they are unnecessary, but they seem to be recommended now by all the gas system suppliers. I have learnt a lot too!
Thank you so much for the LTS recommendation.
And Gavster1, I don't think it was 'cos I'm female I got seen so soon!

Back wilding ... Eagle's Rock last night and Magillagin Point ... celebration in the pub booked at 7.00.
Katherine

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2017  ·  #20
Brilliant outcome , other then not have the problem with a new unit in the first place, you couldn't ask for a better result.
Its great to hear of someone doing a good job and a agent following trough on his service agreement.
:up: :up: for LTS. they've done themselves proud again.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.