Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8
Subject:

Water Question

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #1
Hi all,
Just wanted to ask a question about how you all use your water. We usually bring bottles of water with us, we pick up 5 or 6 when buying our food and use this for drinking, making tea and cooking. Is this the norm? I cant imagine consuming the water from the tank is hygienic? No matter how clean it would appear there's always some remaining stagnant water-currently ours is parked up for almost 2 weeks with about a quarter tank and its been pretty hot the last few days...
We made the mistake on our first trip away using the water we filled from the site and a slight green tinge with a nettle aftertaste soon made us rethink! But it also got me thinking while bring this extra water is fine for short trips how would one manage on a longer trip with perhaps a few nights of wild camping thrown in?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Water Question

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #2
We clean out the tank regularly, don't let water sit too long by emptying if it is going to be parked for any longer than 5 days. We drink straight from the tank, no harmful affects yet :)

Weather has been hot, but how hot has your water & tank been? usually sits below or inside a van, ours is always quite cool.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #3
We used to use bottled water for drinks, cooking, making tea, however we found that the tea didnt taste as nice and the water was leaving a residue in the kettle. So we changed to using the tank water for boiling but still bring bottle water for drinking (particularly for the kids).

We also clean the tank (not so regularly :-) ). Also, we have a valve on the tank so we empty the tank every time we get home. However, if you decide to do this just remember to turn off the pump.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #4
We do what you do road trippin, buy 5 litre bottles in Tesco for €1.29 - we have about 8 of them and they're stored under the seats... Since buying - we simply refill! And when they've been in the bottle for a period of time - use them to fill the water tank then!

Haven't noticed any issue with with the water from the tank - but it's just been the way we've always done it :)

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #5
Clean our tank regularly with a weak Milton solution, run thru the taps to the waste tank to clean pipes too.
Rinse well with fresh water.
We use water all the time direct from the tank....... reasoning if it has travelled many miles through mains concrete pipes/plastic pipes and in lots and lots of cases there is still asbestos and lead pipes still being used in water Mains then a clean tank in the van shouldn't present any problems.
We do drink sparkling water from Asda or Lidl/Aldi in lieu of of soft drinks bought in 6x 2 litre bottles.

Roadtrippin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #6
Thanks for the tips guys. Will give the tank a clean and flush through the next time we're at a waste point, at least then ill know its been given a clean-not sure when the last owner did so & we haven't since we got it in April.
Cheers!

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #7
We use a ten liter refillable can for cooking etc and buy bottles for drinking,the tank in our van is only used for washing because some of the areas visited may not have drinkable water.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #8
Tank water is used for boiling kettle and cooking. 5L bottled water for drinking is our routine.
Normal Irish weather, 2 adults and 2 kids, we use about 5 L a day. Usually we carry about 3 bottles and refill them whenever we can

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #9
During the winter I use the water from the tank for drinking and cooking etc. The tank is then emptied and refilled for each weekend. I would be reluctant to use it in the summer months as residue from the previous week is in the tank and then topped up. I was using the 5 litre supermarket bottles last summer but I did not like the taste in coffee etc and there was always a grey layer floating on the coffee. I saved a few containers and refill these at home to bring with me.
Last summer I filled the van tanks on a site using a brand new cheap 10 metre hose purchased in B and M. The ends of the hose were sealed and I cut them opened to put the attachments on before filling. Later in the day I thought I could smell a chemical smell and by morning the water smelt like Jayes Fluid. I dumped the tanks and researched a cleaner, many recommended Milton but advised that it may corrode stainless steel pipes and tanks which Alde wet heating systems have, those with Alde heating recommended the Halford version which worked well for 3-4 quid.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.05.2017  ·  #10
I'm happy to use the tank for tea/coffee, washing up etc. However, I find there's a plastic taste from the tank water so I've a couple of 5 litre water containers that I refill, 2 of them will do a weekend with 3 of us. I empty, rinse my tanks with a touch of bleach and refill every spring. Works for us.😊

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2017  ·  #11
3 5ltr bottles for drinking and tank for washing dishes

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.