kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Easter trip

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #1
We're planning where to head for Easter, thinking west, Ending up in Achill. Question is, drive straight to Achill or stop off en route?

Being Good Friday, I reckon there's no point trying a pub stop-over, so it's either a campsite or wild camping. Don't really want to spend 3 nights on a site, so maybe a mix of both.

Any suggestions? The App has some good options on Achill, but is it worth staying at the Crossmolina aire en route or should we just head straight to Achill?

Any other Craicers heading that direction?

oirishman
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

achill

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #2
Rooskey is a good stop....breaks the journey across country...depends where in meath you are.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Re: Easter trip

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #3
.... or you could join us at Lough Arrow campsite ( about 5miles from Boyle). Small , friendly, spotlessly clean, geat showers , a nice little clubhouse kitted out with books , cards& other games , darts etc but mostly where fellow campers retire to in the evening to chat and have a laugh and a catch up - and have a drink ( bring your own) It's an adult only site.
Lough Arrow is a 'free' fishing lough if that interests you.

ps Son/daughter and friend are singers in a club band and and will be bringing their music gear to entertain us on the Sat eve. Regulars enjoy it but If that's not your thing don't worry we make sure they stop around 9.30pm.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #4
.... or you could join us at Lough Arrow campsite ( about 5miles from Boyle). Small , friendly, spotlessly clean, geat showers , a nice little clubhouse kitted out with books , cards& other games , darts etc but mostly where fellow campers retire to in the evening to chat and have a laugh and a catch up - and have a drink ( bring your own) It's an adult only site.

ps Son/daughter and friend are singers in a club band and and will be bringing their music gear to entertain us on the Sat eve. Regulars enjoy it but If that's not your thing don't worry we make sure they stop around 9.30pm.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #5
Kevin, keem strand - it's a must visit when you get to achill! :)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #6
Kevin keep in mind the last 80k to Achill is a pain in the butt roads wise,so half way in distance isn't the same in time.

life is for living
Subject:

easter

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #7
[quote="kevinmoore"]
We're planning where to head for Easter, thinking west, Ending up in Achill. Question is, drive straight to Achill or stop off en route?

Being Good Friday, I reckon there's no point trying a pub stop-over, so it's either a campsite or wild camping. Don't really want to spend 3 nights on a site, so maybe a mix of both.

Any suggestions? The App has some good options on Achill, but is it worth staying at the Crossmolina aire en route or should we just head straight to Achill?

Any other Craicers heading that direction?
[/quote]
ya thinking of going away for easter any suggestion first time posting on this :

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2017  ·  #8
Quote by spatuladad123

That sounds like a good plan, maybe land there on Friday evening and see how it goes on Saturday, don't do fishing (used to years ago) but there will be plenty to do anyway. Would we need to book for Easter do you reckon?

@Killian, thanks for the tip on Achill. Looking forward to it, been painting & decorating this week and will be next week so can't wait to get away!

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2017  ·  #9
Kevin, I've never seen the campsite at capacity but maye drop them an e mail just to be sure , we and others have already. Lough Arrow Touring Park - e mail at latp@eircom.net. Look forward to seeing you there , promise you will love the place, also we will all be meeting the new owners for the first time but Terry and Mary ( the original owners) will still be there for the break in period
Don't fish ?, nice to just chill out at the campsite by the lough, if you are bored though Boyle town is lovely to walk around and shop in, there is still one of those old fashioned family run hardware shops which sells everything and a great Supervalue, a restored Abbey, farmers market, riverside cafes / resturants or if you like walking some of the oldest Neolithic tombs are on the hills on the other side of the Lough. Eagles Flying is another great place to spend a couple of hours, many birds of prey and some other animals, get up close and personal at the display where they fly the birds just over the shoulders of the small audience or land them on you if you like.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2017  ·  #10
ps Should have said, the last couple of miles from the main Sligo Rd to the campsite is on a pretty narrow rd with bushes trees and so blind bends. The school bus and tractors etc use this road so dive slow and take care.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2017  ·  #11
OK thanks, Jayne?

I've emailed them for the Saturday night, looks like a plan. Are you and others planning to stay Sunday as well? Not sure whether to stay there or move on?

The site looks lovely OK, so another one to add to the list.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2017  ·  #12
Yes , not heading home untill Monday after breakfast, former owners did a lovely morning fry , bacon, sausage, egg, beans, tomato, loadsa toast tea coffee , 7euro, hope they are still doing it.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2017  ·  #13
Setting off tomorrow for what looks like a wet weekend at Lough Arrow, still, we will be all cozy tucked up on the campsite - anyway couldn't possibly be as bad as this weekend in 2015, that's the daughter's trailer tent .

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2017  ·  #14
Quote by spatuladad123

Setting off tomorrow for what looks like a wet weekend at Lough Arrow, still, we will be all cozy tucked up on the campsite - anyway couldn't possibly be as bad as this weekend in 2015, that's the daughter's trailer tent .

Reminds me of Vantastical 2015, Enjoy the weekend :up:

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2017  ·  #15
We actually drive straight to Achill on Friday, so settled in here in Keel- plenty of vans on site, weather not so good, very blustery and a few heavy showers. But a bottle of vino and a good steak makes up for a lot 🍷😊

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Easter trip.

· 
Posted: 15.04.2017  ·  #16
If your interested the Deserted village is worth a visit, also there is a Butcher in the Keel who usually has a good deal on whole Achill Lamb ready for the freezer for collection before you go home.
Having my last roast this weekend from out last trip over.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2017  ·  #17
[/img]So a good day in Achill all in all, managed not to be outside during the showered, and ended up in the Annexe Inn for a couple of Guinness with a good trad session so not a bad result... about 20 motorhomes in the site and at least 5 or 6 wild-camping outside. [img]
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.04.2017  ·  #18
Had a good weekend too, great people, great fishing, new owners nice, so we stayed 'till Wednesday.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.