Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

Holyhead or Pembroke to channel tunnel.

· 
Posted: 31.03.2017  ·  #1
Hey drivers...we always do Holyhead and Chunnel. At minute pembrtoke with IF is a fair bit cheaper than Holyhead. I know Pembroke to Folkestone is about 50 miles less but also cuts out Dartford crossing and M25 snarl up. So for those that have actual experience are there any disadvantage s of taking the Pembroke route cover the Holyhead route ?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Holyhead or Pembroke to channel tunnel.

· 
Posted: 31.03.2017  ·  #2
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #3
I have done both and much prefer Pembroke the m6 north of Birmingham is one big roadwork at the moment last week the dual carriageway around Conwy was moving at less than walking pace. Getting out of Wales is free on the Severn bridge. I find the route much better although the north wales coast road is very scenic.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #4
nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2017  ·  #5
I personaly prefer Pembroke as there is less traffic west to east than north going south, the extra miles to Rosslare saves that run across Anglesea. As regards the M25, that is a lottery once you are on it no matter where you join it but you dont have to use the Dartford crossing.which can be slow at times, If possible avoid the morning and evening rush.I used to pull over and have a break.You dont have to pay for the Severn Crossing going east but pay on the way back west.If you have a Disabled Blue Badge show it at the kiosk and the crossing is free.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2017  ·  #6
What about Pembroke then Weymouth or Portsmouth to France . I would rather drive to Rosslare and then cross even from NI cheaper diesel in ROI and shorter drive in GB

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2017  ·  #7
I've looked at the landbridge option too, but after consideration we always use rosslare/Cherbourg as the extra drive in the UK is as bad as the trip to Rosslare, even for us up here in Donegal as we don't hit motorway to we reach 10 mile south of Ardee.
This time we're going to go Saturday although we don't sail till Sunday and spend a night with our Son who lives down south. I adopt the attitude of the minute I drive out the gate I'm on holiday as driving and touring is all part of the craic.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2017  ·  #8
I must agree with JJF as regards traveling to Dublin as most times I set off from Costa del Buncrana and know the road via Strabane and Omagh,but some people dont like sea travel. So the least time they are on the better. We have used the Dublin-Cherbourg for the last two years and have been pleased with the trip. The price on the tunnel which I have been told of 39 pounds each way takes a bit of beating.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2017  ·  #9
Although last year was our first MH trip, we've travelled to France many times by car, tried the land bridge once and didn't like the cross-country drive. So we always go Rosslare-Cherbourg now (or Roscoff), I like the fact that you get on board, settle in, have a bite and a couple of drinks, off to bed and wake up in France. As JJF says, it's part of the holiday!

mrw
Craic'er
Subject:

Options

· 
Posted: 03.04.2017  ·  #10
I have tried virtually all of the various routes over the years.

Coming from HH I avoid the Dartford T by going anti-clockwise as has already been mentioned.

At least 50% of the time I travel overnight through Wales and England, getting by the M25 before it really builds up.

Weymouth is a nice option and I'm sure access has improved since I last did it (1982)!

Where you want to go when you hit France is a major factor but at least you have a good stretch of toll free (if that is an issue) roads in Brittany and Normandy.

On balance I have found Rosslare France direct the best option in recent years ( a bit more costly) but much less stressful and more relaxing than landbridge.

Of you want to do landbridge then Rosslare Pembroke would be my preferred option.

Once you avoid peak times, getting around Dublin is not a big problem and neither is the rest of the run to Rosslare.

Safe trip whichever you choose.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2017  ·  #11
thanks for replies.
I will price other channel options but last time I looked they were very pricey.
For us cherbourg is way too expensive during peak season with three kids and my wife hates the long overnight crossing. We always head to Alps first so no point landing in Normandy. last few years IF to HH then chunnel with Tesco vouchers came in around £550 inc diesel through GB so IF to Cherbourg in July/Aug with 2 cabins will NEVER match that...besides even leaving Donegal in the am we are still south of reims before the Cherbourg boat has even docked in France!!
Sounds like its Pembroke this time for a try!.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.