jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Range Rover Sport

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #41
FC you are a quick learner and will go far in this life.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #42
heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

nop changed my mind

· 
Posted: 11.12.2016  ·  #43
Ok so I am a bit slow in making a decision
It is nearly 3 years since I started the thread and still have the Honda CRV pushing 100k now but sweet as a nut
Still think that the RR sport is a great motor but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gone a bit soft I think and now decided that I have about 7-8 years left until I become a bl**dy menace to other road users hence the change of camper and Henry the Honda may not manage to last that long.
Looking at whats going on re stuffing the car owner and diesels (yes I do still have a caravan as well as the Camper) I have taken one almighty leap and WILL in the new year buy a 2016 (wait for it) a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX5hs. ex demo if I can find one
So come on you have always been a vocal lot and will no doubt slam me
In case you wonder SWMBO is more than happy with the CRV and is not too happy with me going Autobox but has given me almost a OK

David

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2016  ·  #44
David, an auto box can't be beaten beliege me. I've got a Citroen C6 auto and I live it. When I have to hire out a car I always insist on an auto one. Dont let the auto put you off.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2016  ·  #45
You simply can't beat an auto...except in a MH :D I have a Hybrid/Electric Diesel with 7G auto. Need to be extra careful with pedestrians, when reversing in supermarket carparks and passing cyclists as the car is silent.

Just check you can fit a towbar if you are planning to tow your caravan as my car can't apparently.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2016  ·  #46
No no no and no again to the phev, I almost got run over by one they are so quiet. For towing you need something with umph, stick with your original plan, get a Range Rover Sport or a discovery you won't regret it, but you might with the hybrid (the others will last longer than a battery toy)

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2016  ·  #47
John who is the phev if you don't mind me asking?

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2016  ·  #48
Forgot to add....don't buy on the basis that you will save £££s at the pump - you won't. You'll get nowhere near the claimed mpg in real world conditions.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2016  ·  #49
Quote by 2424

Forgot to add....don't buy on the basis that you will save £££s at the pump - you won't. You'll get nowhere near the claimed mpg in real world conditions.

Of course it does depend on how its used. Being old and no longer having to go to work 90% of my journeys will be max 30 miles so basically all electric.
re the towing it does have a decent towing limit (actually 300kg more than my CRV) which I don't think any other PHEV can match reports I have found that towing the car should return 25mpg on petrol only which is better than a lot of Diesel Cars

FC
the beauty of the PHEV (plug in electric hybrid) is that it does have a great deal of Torque and yes the weakness is the batteries but they have a 8 year guarantee and after that time technology will have moved a long way I understand that they are already looking at bringing all electrics out with a 300 mile range.

With some cities already banning Diesels and others putting big tariffs (no doubt the EU will soon jump on this and bang a big tax somehow)) Electric looks the way to go and the Plug in electric petrol hybrid to me looks the best way forward at present

David

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #50
Autobox is the only way to go. I was always a bit snobby when it came to gearboxes, but now after having several cars with auto, I'd be slow to go back to manual gearbox. My current car has auto with tiptronic and even has gear change buttons on the steering wheel. However, I cant remember the last time I used them. They were (of course) a crucial factor when buying the car... lol

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #51
Jack, the phev is mitubishi's hybrid based on an outlander, same type of thing as a freelander.

I know it's horses for courses but you really can't beat a land rover based vehicle for on/off road capability. I've had a Navarre and a Santa Fe and while both decent vehicles they had short comings compared to a LR discovery

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #52
Yeah it's based on the outlander. They are a nice enough vehicle but not as good as the Freelander. For me every time it's a Landrover if you're serious about off reading. Sorry reading lol

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #53
you mean roading :lol:

I have an old Daewoo Musso which has the old 2.9 5 cyl merc engine and it is a fantastic off roader and will pull over 3t. It doesnt look good, or have the ability to break a speed limit but it does what is asked of it and is very comfortable, the best thing is I can only describe it as virtually indestructible and costs nothing to either buy or run. I use it for roughly two weeks a year as its out in Spain and it hasnt failed to start yet.

The moral of this tale is you dont need to spend a fortune on something for it to do a particular task.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2016  ·  #54
Quote by Blag

Autobox is the only way to go. I was always a bit snobby when it came to gearboxes, but now after having several cars with auto, I'd be slow to go back to manual gearbox. My current car has auto with tiptronic and even has gear change buttons on the steering wheel. However, I cant remember the last time I used them. They were (of course) a crucial factor when buying the car... lol

Totally agree with you Kevin, I had a manual rented in Lanzarote a few weeks ago , What a pain when you are used to Automatic 🇧🇭

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2017  ·  #55
Time to put this to bed, its had a good run and got bog all to do with motorhomes.
Finally parted with some cash and will pick the car up on Friday.
Decided to totally blow the budget this will be our last car, have gone off the tried and tested route and on Friday will be driving a ex demo Lexus NX 300h in bright red with cream leather interior, auto of course, petrol hybrid, neighbour couldn't wait to buy the Honda off me so didn't have to trade in (But I guess that Lexus main dealer would not want it anyway)
no going back now

David

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2017  ·  #56
If I was going down the road of a land rover I would go x forces when the mod get rid they must be in in top order mot,ed and total road worthy plus there cheap

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2017  ·  #57
The Lexus IS a nice car and you'll enjoy the auto. I just love my auto Citroen C6 there's nothing just like it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.