New Member - Looking for a Big Motorhome for Small Money :-)

Looking to get down the long and winding road.....

ConorB
Subject:

New Member - Looking for a Big Motorhome for Small Money :-)

· 
Posted: 25.02.2017  ·  #1
Greetings fellow travellers,
I have lived viceriously through reading numerous books and blogs about lucky folk who have taken the plunge, purchased a modest motorhome and travelled throughout Europe, North & South America and across New Zealand and Australia. I am 53 years young, a year Divorced, and my two children are now living independently. So, now it's time for Dear old Dad to head off on down the path less travelled.
I am ideally looking for a 2/4 berth home/van that has been lovingly cared for and is looking for a good and caring owner. I am reasonably handy mechanically etc, but I do not want to be buying someone else's headaches. To start with, my Ex got both my kidneys in the Divorce lol :-) That has left me with a modest budget to start with. I have a budget of around €10,000 to get me up and going. I had my sights set on a beautiful 2008 Merc Sprinter recently professionally converted, but I discovered, just in time, that it had major engine issues, so I dodged that bullet!

I appreciate that by new retail prices, my budget is very modest, but it's substance, 'good bones' and character I'm after, not flash or a 171 Reg plate. :-)

I have trawled the likes of Adverts.ie and Donedeal.ie, but for my budget, the photos resemble vans that are minutes away from the crusher.... so I am reaching out to you good folk 'in the know', you might just know where a genuine freewheeler could get a nugget, a modest home on 4 wheels...

So there you have it, I am blue in the face reading books on Kindle and watching YouTube clips of people living the life I long for, where no two days are same and I can embrace the next chapter of my life where I will be accumulating a wealth of memories, not assets as I have been doing only to have the Banks and My Ex pick through and dismantle my life's work.

PS I am quiet a jolly person really, and the thoughts of 'getting the down the road' has kept me going through tough times. Well now is My Time :-)

Carpe Diem (Seize the Day)

Safe travels, y'all,

Conor B

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Re: New Member - Looking for a Big Motorhome for Small Money :-)

· 
Posted: 25.02.2017  ·  #2
Conor, a very big welcome to the craic!!

There's a couple of threads around at the moment of people lookin for vans and one of them was in your price range... I'd done a quick check around at the time, and there were a couple on done deal that would've been worth a look! We got our van on half your budget... And whilst there was some work needed - we had that factored into the cost in the long term!

The very best of luck, If I do see anything (I'm a divil for window shopping) I'll be sure to pop you a note :)

ConorB
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2017  ·  #3
Fair play to you Killiand, any advice or pointers are very much appreciated. I totally get that I haven't a huge amount of cash to start with, but if I get a solid machine that is basically sound mechanically, I can spend time and money on it in the future as funds allowed. I just want to avoid buying someone else's headaches.
Maybe I should have mentioned I hold C1 Licence, so a bigger luxobarge wouldn't scare me off. :-)

Good luck with the window shopping,

Conor

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.02.2017  ·  #4
Welcome Conor, good luck in your search, like Killian I'm always browsing so if I see anything I'll let you know.

ConorB
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.02.2017  ·  #5
Fair play, Douzeper. The more eyes I have on the look out the better. :-)

As I am only new on here, I just spotted the Wanted Section. I might edit my introduction, and do my pleading in the Wanted Section instead :-)

Thanks again,

Conor

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2017  ·  #6
Hello Conor B. If you are free to travel then it might be worth subscribing to British Car Auctions web site, They have a section for motorhomes and as you have no trade in you are well placed. They have pictures and details of what is up for auction at different venues and you might get what you want as the top dealers dont want the old models.

ConorB
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2017  ·  #7
Hi Nilrac, I never considered the Auctions as a source of a vehicle, so thank you very much indeed for extending my field of opportunities that way. As I already mentioned, I am hoping to get my selection right first time, rather than purchasing in haste and regretting at leisure. :-)

The area of van conversations are also attractive to me because it will mostly be myself or Plus One, so a professionally converted van might meet my needs for the next while.

In the meantime, I will follow up on your suggestion.

Thanks again & Safe Travels,

Conor

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2017  ·  #8
You could be lucky as conversions dont make as much as the branded models. My brother has done a few in the past he has now moved on to building his own plane..With a liitle bit of looking you can get a great little workhorse.I see there is a few at Nottingham on the 9th March ,one of them is a Bay Window VW .Looks very nice from the photo. If you click on the little thumb nail it magnafies. Happy Looking and good luck.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2017  ·  #9
Hi Conor, welcome to the Craic, may you have many happy years of motoring... I just noticed this advert in the for sale section, might be worth checking out.
forum/topic.php?t=13893&page=1&fup=105011#real105011

Good luck and make sure you post when you manage to get your van!

Kevin

ConorB
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2017  ·  #10
Hi Nilrac,
I hadn't spotted that one in Nottingham, but I'd like to exhaust my research locally before I move to 'foreign parts'. :-)
I might hire out one over the next few weeks on the European mainland to establish which format suits my current and pending needs. I fell in lust with a Class A machine here in Ireland, classy & spacious, but totally impractical for the back road travelling I have in mind. So, The search continues...

Many thanks for the pointers,

Safe travels,

Conor

ConorB
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2017  ·  #11
Hi Kevin,
Thank you sir for the good wishes and the link. It is certainly worth considering. I plan to be an active member on here, making worthwhile contributions where ever possible.

Safe travels,

Conor

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.