Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

Attention Star-Gazers!

· 
Posted: 21.02.2017  ·  #1
Hi all,

I saw that there's a few people in the "hobbies other than motorhoming" thread with an interest in the dark skies above.

We were down on Valentia island at the weekend (unfortunately not in the MH) but attended an "Introduction to the Dark Skies" talk. Whilst it was too cloudy to see anything, the talk itself was brilliant!

He noted two events that I thought might be of interest to a few people!

Messier Marathon - March 24th and 25th (if this means nothing to you have a look here! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_marathon ) and the site for this event: http://www.kerrydarkskytourism.com/

and also

The Skellig Star Party: skelligstarparty.com 18th-21st August 2017. the website is a bit slow to load so here's a quick snippit:

"In May of 2014 a group of like minded Amateur Astronomers from Clubs around the country got together to hold the first Irish Open Star Party. The obvious choice of location was Europe's only Gold Tier Dark Sky Reserve, right here, in the South West of Ireland. From that simple idea grew the Skellig Star Party, and moving on from it's 2014 success we have decided to make it an Annual event.

There is plenty for all to do over the weekend as talks/workshops will take place on the Saturday afternoon followed by a table-quiz, as well as a BBQ on the Friday evening, Saturday morning/evening in aid of Barnardo's."

Not sure if we'll make either ourselves, but wanted to let everyone know :)

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Attention Star-Gazers!

· 
Posted: 21.02.2017  ·  #2
:up:

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2017  ·  #3
Hi the messer sky search is brill I have been doing it for over a year Now there are 100 + messer objects finding them is harder than you think even with a 10" scope a lot are small and hard to find even with a sky chart another good one is Patrick Moores moon crater count,can be done with 10/50 bio's on a full moon

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2017  ·  #4
I'll definitely check out the Patrick Moore one too! It sounded like a bit of craic - they're getting no primary school kids to ind the first few (10/12 I think) and then working from there through the night to try spot them all !

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.